If you could combine the best parts of any existing DAWs into the ultimate DAW...

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

emef wrote:if reaper had a session view it would be the perfect daw.
has Reaper got modular view?

"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

it has when i load Mux into it ;)

Somethings Bitwig does that all DAWs should do:

unified modulation system
background plugin scanning

Also all hosts should have the ability to scan/load plugins via shortcuts (aliases) - afaik only Live and Orion can do that

My perfect daw would work much like a great digital console + recorder, with fader flip and snapshots and a real master section and a truly functional solo and cue system and not have much looping stuff in it.

It would kinda be ProTools crossed with Soundscape crossed with Pyramix crossed with Audition with the ease of use of S1 along with Cubase's midi functionality for good measure.

hardware setup
Very minimal at the moment, Akai, Novation and Korg controllers set to an i5 Macbook Pro. Currently using a Zoom H4 as an audio interface until I buy a new interface (taking my sweet time). Also play bass, guitar, drums so have those available.
what kind of music you make
Just started producing "On the fly" spontaneous music using Ableton, Bidule and a bunch of samples. I also write pop, dance, rock etc. the typical way but i prefer the former.
please describe your workflow
As stated, I just started producing spontaneous music so any workflow that helps with this is what's utilized. This means have all options (and I mean E V E R Y T H I N G) available for MIDI and/or keystroke control. Cockos Reaper "action list" is a good example of this (including the SWS extensions). The last thing a live performer wants to resort to is using the mouse and staring at the screen too often. The more one can do via MIDI, keystrokes, joystick control and whatever else you want to throw in there, the better.
Think DJing, it's about controlerism. Even if one is a bedroom/studio musician/producer, having these sorts of live performance options makes writing fun and can influence the writing process in a variety of ways.
Which parts would come from which DAWs?
1. Ableton Live's session view is probably the closest DAW that implements this request. I'll throw it in in case it may interest you. For track flexibility, allow Exclusive Track Control (for both MIDI and Audio tracks). What this means is each track has the capability of being independent from the main transport.
So for *each* track, there are buttons that can be turned on or off (via MIDI/keystroke) which determine what syncs to the transport and playback position of the arrangement:
-Tempo/BPM
-Start/Stop
-Playback position
-Loop position
-Time sig.
etc.
By default, when a track is loaded, everything syncs to the transport. Whatever you want to be independent, you just turn that button off.
So as an example, say you have 4 tracks with the first track's Loop Position set to be independent from the transport, the track starts/stops along with all other tracks (syncs to the transport) but loops independently from the other tracks (which are set to sync to the main playback position). One can even have grouped tracks where tracks "follow" other tracks.

2. Audio Tracks. Native Instrument's Traktor should be mentioned even though it's a DJ app. Mainly it's the features available to manipulate audio files that are good.
-Allow multiple loop points to be set and stored for each track (allow "set loop points" and store/recall loops to be MIDI assignable).
Ableton Live can do this in a round about way within the session view but it requires cropping up clips and setting them to their own cells which is counterproductive for spontaneous music creation. With Traktor this can be done on the fly.
-On the fly Beat Slicing per track set to a quantized value (have the quantize value assignable to MIDI). Allow for randomized playback which can be stored and recalled all via MIDI. Also have an option to "zero out" slices, like undo but a bit different-I'll explain:
Let's say one sets the quantize value to 1/8, slices the track and randomizes playback of slices and saves the randomization. Now they can "zero out" the slices so the track goes back to it's normal unsliced state, set quantize to 1/16, slice, randomize, save etc. etc.
Keep in mind all this is being done on the fly via MIDI and/or Keystroke control.
-Random playback of tracks: Fwd, Bkwrd, Fwd & Bkwrd.
-Time stretching option where tracks follow a tempo but reserve their pitch.
-Track layering for Loop recording. So one can do overdub recording where each take is on it's own lane. There are various DAWS that do this but the one that comes to mind, as far as a nice user friendly approach is concerned, is Energy XT 1.4 which is Windows only and may or may not be available since it is ancient. Basically, think live looper pedals that guitarists use. Ableton has a Looper effect which is nice but could be better if it was implemented within the track as a opposed to a separate plug in.
-Speaking of Live's Looper effect, one REALLY nice feature is its ability to set the BPM for the whole song/project. This is really useful for live performers who change up the tempo of their performance on the fly. Pre-setup of tempo markers or what have you doesn't work if one creates on the fly.

3. MIDI tracks. Check out Numerology if you are on a MAC. I'm unsure what Windows app is equivalent, perhaps Sugar Bytes Consequence? Anyhow, the idea is to implement the sequencing features of said apps directly onto the MIDI tracks so one can manipulate notes on the fly.

4. Speaking of Sugar Bytes, check out Effectrix. If you can apply this concept to your Audio and Midi tracks for effect manipulation...whew....that would really take it to the next level.
Have the same setup but allow users to select which effects are assigned to which pane.
So you load a track and below it, like automation lanes, you add effect tracks (again, in realtime via MIDI) and voila, have at it. Even allow effects to be assigned to MIDI so they can be loaded instantly onto an effect track for immediate manipulation.

5. Customizable GUI. This is extremely important. As an example, I absolutely hated Reaper because it looked ugly (when it first came out) and because of this never bothered with it (not to mention it's un-user friendliness/complexity). About a month ago I stumbled onto an image of a Reaper theme (GUI customization) which I liked so much I DLd the Reaper demo just to check this thing out. Since then I've messed around with Reaper and can now see what the power behind it is. It's still not perfect as far as user friendliness is concerned but I can understand why people like it. All because I gave it a chance from a good looking GUI theme. So yeah, it's important. Eye candy.

Ok, enough hogging.
Ask not what your DAW can do for you, but what you can do with your DAW

xbitz wrote:
emef wrote:if reaper had a session view it would be the perfect daw.
has Reaper got modular view?

I love the modular view and the flexibility it offers. I use Bidule and sometimes energyXT and have tried Mux. Yes this can be added to any of the DAWs as they are VST's and VSTi’s and some also work as stand- alone. The advantage here is that these VST's and VSTi’s can host VST’s and VSTi’s and VST midi fx.

One additional request will be that the Bidule’s and the like can run as MFX. Allow the MFX/Bidule to host MFX and VST midi FX and the DAW’s propriety midi fx. This is like to have your midi and eat it too! Very fattening!

I'm fine with my current host Tracktion 5 , just the way it is .....
But .....
1. Add Live's Session Clip record and launcher.
2. Fruity Loops piano roll and midi ( never used it just going by word on the street )
3. ARA , never used it before but whatever.
4. Harrison Mixbuss mixer and mixbusses with EQ etc etc . ( Jules would hate that one )
5. Reasons SSL masterbuss compressor ( the glue )

I just know that FL Studio's piano roll should be in the ultimate DAW.

I think if this should ever happen [the perfect DAW] it will cost more than most of us can ever afford :hihi:

To run everyone's perfect DAW you will need this computer:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 6&t=416566

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

Because of the justified interest in the FL Studio piano roll I checked it out. One additional fact about FL Studio is that it can run as a VSTi. Are there any other DAWs that can do that? I know that BIDULE and energyXT do but do other Cubase like DAWs run as a VSTi? So let me add run as a VSTi as a disable DAW feature.

So this begs the Question. Run FL Studio inside let’s say Cubase or in Bidule? This is to take advantage of the famous Piano roll.

Edit: After some reflection there two possibilities on how to use FL Studio in Cubase and likely other DAW’s. One, is to open Bidule in the INPUT ROUTING and then open FL Studio inside Bidule. Two and the more typical way is to open FL Studio on a track. This will determine the work flow. I have not fully checked this out yet to see how useful the and easy will be to use FL Piano Roll in this manner.

Best not to respond here as my intension is informational and not intended to hijack this thread.

#!. Reaper folder track principles
As visible and expandable/collapsable in track view as in mixer view

Very practicle way to work towards maybe 8-10 stems on top level out to stereobus.

#2. ProTools inserts rack on every track clearly visible for good overview.

#3. Reaper routing abilities but with a visible interface like Metaplugin

Think if the full daw routing could be handled like that.

#4. Cubase Arranger to combine any ranges in a project and even repeat them and generate new projects from that. You handle any range pretty much as a playlist, or multiple playlists for different versions of a song/music.

So easy to add a bridge, or repeat a chorus an extra time, or extend with an extra verse etc.

#5. A programming language to easily build you own midi plugin features.
Reaper has JS stuff, and Cakewalk has CAL language.
A combination of the two with high level functions as well as control if you need it.

StudioOnes interface.

Cooledits quickswap multitrack, wav editor, with addition of piano roll and mixer pages.

Reapers installer (ie portable option), optimization (ie size), customizations, searchability.

FL Studios pianoroll, with notename editing from reaper.

Installation component options. If i wont use fx (or) synths, clouds, demo songs, etc, id rather them not be installed at all.

KVR Audio Forum Signature is currently unavailable for your web browser.

Cooledits quickswap multitrack, wav editor, +1 :hyper:
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

Digital Performers Chunks, but implemented for real time use like Live, with MIDI/note key commands.
Something in Between Chunks and Session View basically.

DP's clippings.

Live's real time performance, no glitching.

Bitwigs built in modular system, as they plan to implement it anyway.

Melodyne Editor built in.

Logic's Event Editor, Capture Last Take as Recording, Logic 7's zoom commands.

Pro Tools / DP's audio editing, but with some of Live's shortcuts for seamless quantized editing.

DP's MIDI editing but with Live's/Max's MIDI plug ins, and higher quantize settings.

DP's Mixer.

Cubase/Logic/Traction combo Arrangement page <-- Submenus are OK but even better IMO would be well thought out zoom settings that allow for the "overview" to be the edit view as well. DP and Traction have badly implemented versions of this, that could be done right by someone.

My ultimate frankenDAW would pretty much be a combination of various trackers and FL. Which isn't really a productive suggestion for someone looking to make the next great Cubase clone, but for the sake of discussion...

Renoise disk browser(two layers where you can navigate folders in the upper pane and files in the lower is ideal), pattern editor commands(are more logical and intuitive than most other trackers IMO), and integrated sampler

The Pattern editor would be separate from the mixer, with instruments either automatically having their own track or maybe a "machine view" ala buzz or psycle. I feel like it's very easy to waste space and create tracks where massive amounts of horizontal scrolling are required in Renoise where pattern columns are in tracks, even though you may only be using a few at a time. One thing I really miss from using modplug and psycle, just throw notes down anywhere!

FL Piano Roll. This would be secondary to the pattern editor personally as I think that is the most proficient tool for programming electronic music, but a piano roll is really ideal for touching up recorded MIDI data and some users may find the visualization of pitch useful, and it is also easier to edit note properties for large numbers of notes this way. A program that successfully marries a tracker pattern editor and piano roll would be amazing

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”