Why doesn't DAWs use GPU?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Why doesn't DAWs utilize the processing powers on GPUs?
Why resort to proprietary formats such as UAD2 or Powergrid,
why not use standard format such as nvidia Tesla. I'm sure even your GTX could pull some weight in form of processing power.

And inn addition, why is not DAWs capable of using a render farm for time consuming processes such as bouncing down stems?

Because of data throughput. GPUs work with high amounts of data that are shuffled into them 50 times a second. Audio needs tiny amounts of data that are shuffled around a few hundred times a second. GPUs don't like that.

Kemono wrote:Why doesn't DAWs utilize the processing powers on GPUs?
There's been plenty of dicussion of this here before now. Use the search function and you'll find multiple threads eg

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 3&t=399826
Why resort to proprietary formats such as UAD2 or Powergrid,
Most people dont, and most proprietry systems that have been available have been discontinued. I suspect UAD mostly succeed because people want thier specific plugins, not because they're hardware-based.
And inn addition, why is not DAWs capable of using a render farm for time consuming processes such as bouncing down stems?
Well you're slightly wrong to begin with, since some DAWs have been able to farm out audio processing to other systems on a network, and there have been third-party solutions which permit can add it. But I'd suggest the reason its not common functionality is because its not a significant enough problem to warrant the solution. Which is probably why one of the DAWs which could do it (Logic), dropped it, AFAIK.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Thanks for the link, it provided a very interesting read (even the links within it)!

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”