Snare/Rim Percussion

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Okay this should be fairly simple and maybe I know the answer already but I am trying to get a little more into my percussion as it seems to be a weak point of mine and I think I really just imagine that other producers are doing much much more than they are.

But regardless, this Bontan song has a good example of something for some reason I can't emulate the sound of no matter how hard I try. This type of percussion is very common but this Bontan song is not over done so it's very easy to pick out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjycONMRZvc

At about 30 seconds, once cross the 16th bar, the percussion takes a change, very slight I mean obviously he switches the hi hats and etc. But he adds this like snare/rimshot on the eight/ninth 16th note of each 2nd quarter note. The problem I'm having is no matter how much I do this I keep getting a really really artificial sound, I thought maybe it's the velocity, nope. I thought maybe it's the decay, nope. Maybe it's the length of the note I'm choosing, nope.

Funny part is when I test the sample in the drum rack by hitting it twice in sequence I get the sound I want, just for some reason when I put it on roll I can't get it the same. Any ideas?

Perhaps you could post some audio of your version. Then post readers can point you in the direction you need to go.

Return to “Production Techniques”