SlickEQ "Gentleman's Edition" - Released!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
TDR VOS SlickEQ GE

I don't think you'll be disappointed! I only use this and DMG EQuilibrium for digital EQ these days.

AstralExistence wrote:i went with slick eq ge. cheers.
That's good! Sooner or later you will need another EQ anyway )) Actually , for surgical things, ableton natives will suffice.

Igro wrote:
AstralExistence wrote:i went with slick eq ge. cheers.
That's good! Sooner or later you will need another EQ anyway )) Actually , for surgical things, ableton natives will suffice.

im just gonna use this honestly. maybe my mixes will suffer a bit due to not using a hardcore surgical eq but at least i can control it vs using a surgical eq and destroying my mix due to now know wtf im doing.

It does "super musical and clean at the same time" very, very well. I love it that way !
Japanese" will handle all the surigal duties .
You can get it to be pretty colorful too, depending on the EQ model / Out Stage / EQ Sat / Drive combo you go for. And as already said, it does everything in between elegantly.

In my opinion, it´s on par with EQuilibrium and, I bet, with upcoming Slate's/Eiosis ones. For a fraction of the cost. It even get praises from the Nebula aficionados !

I haven't used any other EQ since free version got released, and have definitely stopped my evergoing quest for EQs since I got GE's first beta.
Computer musician / Ableton Certified Trainer / Mastering engineer
.com
3OP

nilhartman wrote:
I haven't used any other EQ since free version got released, and have definitely stopped my evergoing quest for EQs since I got GE's first beta.

well people are sorta being hard on me even though im just trying to buy what i think will be the solution. i realize that kvr is full of professionals who know their stuff but its also full of people that just do this as a hobby. that's good to know nilhartman. i feel ge is the best solution for me too.

The dirty truth is your stock EQ inside your DAW will do the job just as fine and nobody will hear a difference in an usual track.

I don't say there's no place for individual 3rd party plugins. I don't say they are not worth to buy and to use. :)
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

About surgical EQing : I avoid narrow cuts as much as I can. I'll try to solve issues at recording whenever it's possible, or with gentle broad cuts/boosts first. My mixes improved a billion since I'm forcing myself to mix that way.

Being a professional or a passionate hobbyist doesn't matter : it's all about having instruments and tools, and being inspired to make great music with them. It's all so subjective !

Of course you can get fantastic sounding mixes with your DAW stock plugins. But, if some 3rd party ones make it quicker, more pleasant and/or more enjoyable and satisfying to get there, use them ! We're spoiled with great tools, often super affordable : we're lucky !
Computer musician / Ableton Certified Trainer / Mastering engineer
.com
3OP

The curve shapes are unlike any DAW's built in EQ I know, and therefore sound and act differently. Just sayin'...

Astral, you made a GREAT choice, just spend some time getting to know it, it's deep!

Also agree that if surgical cuts are needed, it'd be far better sorted at the source/tracking, rather than the mixing/mastering stage.

valerian_777 wrote:The dirty truth is your stock EQ inside your DAW will do the job just as fine and nobody will hear a difference in an usual track.

I don't say there's no place for individual 3rd party plugins. I don't say they are not worth to buy and to use. :)
I don't necessarily agree, but I also don't disagree.

If I use EQ's, it usually boils down to the same suspects over and over and over again. My main weapons of choice are a frequency locked EQ of the Ruper Neve design, maybe another Neve Design with free sweepable filters. I also still use VoS's BootEQ for general sound shaping. But I also use both SlickEQ Free and GE if the task demands it. If I need something for more EQ control, then I tend to use Melda Production's MDynamicEQ. Though I'm still saving up for DMG's Equilibrium myself just because of the versatility and since it's IMO the(!) spiritual successor to Aixcoustic's Electri-Q.

In the end it's most important what you feel comfortable with, with what you can get stuff done. SlickEQ might not be your go-to 5 band EQ, it's more like a general sound shaper like the Pultec or the Neve 1073. But if it get's you to the sound you're looking for faster than with a 32+ band freeform graphical EQ... then go for it.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Compyfox wrote:...If I use EQ's, it usually boils down to the same suspects over and over and over again. My main weapons of choice are a frequency locked EQ of the Ruper Neve design, maybe another Neve Design with free sweepable filters. I also still use VoS's BootEQ for general sound shaping. But I also use both SlickEQ Free and GE if the task demands it. If I need something for more EQ control, then I tend to use Melda Production's MDynamicEQ...
Yep, I prefer similar tools. Tbh the frequency locked devices (comps, limiters as well) were those that thaught me the most especially about EQing.

The things is: I don´t have to fiddle around to find the best q and freq to get things done. The good designs come with such cool curves (or if compressor/limiter then with fixed timings and autorelease). Maybe (if you get used to such a workflow) you already know what your stuff can do and what not and because of that you know how to setup stuff (sounddesign or recording) before you touch your postprocessing devices.

Maybe this is different to the task of a pure mixing engineer but as a producer and sounddesigner I use most of my post processing on purpose. I mean I know eg what Slick EQ can do (and what not) and I really like what it does so I try to avoid doing stuff that can´t be fixed or enhanced with Slick. If I have some resonating frequencies somewhere in my stem I would either enhance my recording setup (better mic position or different mics at all etc) or try to avoid those stuff on the synth it self (if I would use a softsynth) and rerecord it. After I have some satisfying results my devices can do so much more than "simple fixing".

I don´t use my tools to fix but to enhance the sound. Tbh fixing IS part of enhancing but I am not one of those guys who only cuts and never boosts.

Cheers
Sebastian
Underground Music Production: Sound Design, Machine Funk, High Tech Soul

Just wanted to say that I love the Phi switch :tu:
Professional technicians are assessed by the abilities they possess.
Amateur technicians are assessed by the tools they possess - and the amount of those tools, with an obvious preference to the latest hyped ones.
(Gabe Dumbbell)

BOUGHT!
Its just SO good. Enjoying toasted and japanese very much.
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

I have written some SlickEQ tips & tricks for both free and GE versions. Check it here:

http://vladgsound.wordpress.com/2014/08 ... ps-tricks/
Vlad from Tokyo Dawn Labs

Didn't you forget to mention the "Japanese" mode in the EQ filters?

But thanks for the tips.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Compyfox wrote:Didn't you forget to mention the "Japanese" mode in the EQ filters?

But thanks for the tips.
Models were described in the part about free version that's why there's no info about "Japanese" model there.

"Japanese" mode is very aggressive to me. My recommendation is to use it for harsh and dirty sounds (distorted drumloop, screaming feedback guitars and so on)
Vlad from Tokyo Dawn Labs

Return to “Effects”