eq to compliment dc8c2?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Kaboom75 wrote:The glue is best for tracks and master.
so the glue is a compressor that ca be used on both individual tracks and also master? wont the glue introduce latency on individual tracks due to being a master bus compressor. i realize that i don't know about about production but this is what ive heard. likewise, can eq 8 be used on both tracks and master without causing latency?

but andy didn't redo everything in eq8 did he? he just redid the filters. an only one algorithm.

The new algorithm for EQ 8 is an analog model of a linear SVF circuit, and as such shares the excellent noise performance, as well as ultra smooth modulation properties, of the ideal circuit. The cutoff of EQ 8 can be swept smoothly with automation without the horrible artefacts of commonly used EQ algorithms.
Last edited by AstralExistence on Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I'm assuming that dc8c2 is referring to dc8c? (<--without the 2 at the end)

I kept wondering if there was some sort of plug-in I'd missed.

:D

jsp1979 wrote:I'm assuming that dc8c2 is referring to dc8c? (<--without the 2 at the end)

I kept wondering if there was some sort of plug-in I'd missed.

:D

that's correct.

Seems like the OP doesn't know about EQs much. How can you choose between, say, DDMF EQPro and VOS slick EQ? Those are for different tasks...

latency is fine as long as you keep it to a manageable level.

Igro wrote:Seems like the OP doesn't know about EQs much. How can you choose between, say, DDMF EQPro and VOS slick EQ? Those are for different tasks...

what do you mean?

AstralExistence wrote: so if i stick with eq 8, which compressor do i use in live for tracking and which for mastering?
I've had good luck using DC8C on drums, vocals & Glue on pianos, bass. Many of the "mastering" chains in LIVE use Glue and/or the Multi-Band. Check out the preset in audio effect>mixing & mastering>"small speaker master". I like this preset(with slight tweaking) on the master bus while mixing and arranging.

best of luck
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

AstralExistence wrote:
Igro wrote:Seems like the OP doesn't know about EQs much. How can you choose between, say, DDMF EQPro and VOS slick EQ? Those are for different tasks...

what do you mean?
:) just answered in the other thread.

yep.

Hey AstralE, if you don't mind me being frank, from this thread and others you make the impression of not exactly knowing what you want and not knowing how to use mixing plugins, so personally I'd recommend that you stop buying plugins, especially as you've mentioned before that you are on a tight budget, and focus on using the things you have in your DAW (which are already good) or selected items of the freeware market (which are good up to excellent) and then just learn to mix which takes time and practice and cannot be avoided.
I myself bought a UAD card several years ago and while it helped my things sound better than the then-included Cubase effects, my mixes nowadays sound a lot better although I mostly used free, Cubase internal and low-budget plugins. I simply got better by practice (still being far from good...) and I could have saved a lot of money.
Of course I like to buy shiny new plugs as the next guy here, and I do just because I can afford it, but as a test I mixed a song with just the TB track essentials and one with freeware only, and they still were better than my old mixes with the expensive UAD plugs.
Just my 2 cents.

PS: if you still want to buy stuff I recommend getting a copy of computer music, for a couple of bucks you get access to a vast array of their CM-plugins which are usually slightly more limited than their commercial counterparts but mostly really usable. For the rest of the money, get a good bottle of rum or whatever floats your boat...

I agree with fese.
It's easy if you know how

fese wrote:Hey AstralE, if you don't mind me being frank, from this thread and others you make the impression of not exactly knowing what you want and not knowing how to use mixing plugins, so personally I'd recommend that you stop buying plugins, especially as you've mentioned before that you are on a tight budget, and focus on using the things you have in your DAW (which are already good) or selected items of the freeware market (which are good up to excellent) and then just learn to mix which takes time and practice and cannot be avoided.

its true that i sorta don't know what i want but i do have a good idea what i like. that said, i do know about production enough to get by and have been writing music since 2003. im just not aware of all the complex professional terms and new buzzwords. if i like something i keep it, if i don't i sell it. i don't try to make myself like something if i don't.

ive been investing in my studio for about 3 months now and am close to finishing it.

i have,

compressor: klanghelm dc8c
reverb: valhalla vintage
modulation/delay: valhlalla ubermod
ambience: reflex pro
saturation: klanghelm sdrr
limiter: toneboosters baricade
equalizer: slick eq ge
tone boosters: track essentials (if i need a surgical eq)

before vst i used reason and ejay and before these 3 months its true that i bought more on impulse but as you can see i now ask for opinions about what im buying before i buy it. before that i did not. so i am trying to be pragmatic even if it seems i buy on impulse.

so as you can see i don't just buy to spend i buy because i feel that it will help me. i write music everyday for most of the day, i just have a hard time finishing it to master because i have adhd and can't stay focused on a single track. so i just write demos. but i would never call myself an amateur or uninformed. but like i said, i don't know about the very professional terms, or buzzwords/knowledge.
Last edited by AstralExistence on Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

@astral, Ok, sorry if my post sounded too condescending.
Anyway, you already got great plugins, I have most of them too. And I guess you didn't pay much more than $250 for all of them, which proves how good we have it today. ten years ago that sum would buy us one, max two plugins.
If you're still looking for another EQ, I'd also recommend checking Hornets SW34EQ, if you wait for one of the frequent flash sales, you can get it for less than $15 or so. Total bargain, if it suits your workflow.

EDIT:
before vst i used reason and ejay and before these 3 months its true that i bought more on impulse but as you can see i now ask for opinions about what im buying before i buy it. before that i did not. so i am trying to be pragmatic even if it seems i buy on impulse.
I am not really convinced that asking for opinions on KVR will always give you the answers you want and need :wink: I think everybody is mostly posting about what he personally likes (and more often than not totally ignoring the budget of the OP), especially if the question is relatively vague. Can give you new input, though...

fese wrote: Anyway, you already got great plugins, I have most of them too. And I guess you didn't pay much more than $250 for all of them, which proves how good we have it today.
yep, ive been producing before the advent of vst or rather, before fl studio had vst before that i used ejay and have used reason for a while too. but yeah, their has been a huge upsurge of complexity in the audio technology scene which im not aware of and need to learn more about. i would say before these last 3 months i was an impulse buyer and have owned many monster pricy vsti and mid pricy vst but i sold them all, like you, i too became pragmatic and started to question my expenses and that's where i am now. so it may seem i just buy for no reason, but im really building something practical now where before i was not. cheers.

fese wrote:Hey AstralE, if you don't mind me being frank, from this thread and others you make the impression of not exactly knowing what you want and not knowing how to use mixing plugins, so personally I'd recommend that you stop buying plugins, especially as you've mentioned before that you are on a tight budget, and focus on using the things you have in your DAW (which are already good) or selected items of the freeware market (which are good up to excellent) and then just learn to mix which takes time and practice and cannot be avoided.
I myself bought a UAD card several years ago and while it helped my things sound better than the then-included Cubase effects, my mixes nowadays sound a lot better although I mostly used free, Cubase internal and low-budget plugins. I simply got better by practice (still being far from good...) and I could have saved a lot of money.
Of course I like to buy shiny new plugs as the next guy here, and I do just because I can afford it, but as a test I mixed a song with just the TB track essentials and one with freeware only, and they still were better than my old mixes with the expensive UAD plugs.
Just my 2 cents.

PS: if you still want to buy stuff I recommend getting a copy of computer music, for a couple of bucks you get access to a vast array of their CM-plugins which are usually slightly more limited than their commercial counterparts but mostly really usable. For the rest of the money, get a good bottle of rum or whatever floats your boat...
Totally agree with your statement here :tu: its almost the same with the hardware u can buy the entire pallet of anything and still not be happy with mixes and to still want to add more and more this is problem of the mixer not the tools :) ! Free and cheap plugins to my taste sounds amazing and u can achieve amazing mixes only with them :)!I realised that and have less gas for expensive fancy plugs as to be fair some of them even in the hw world are overhyped one trick ponies witch in one mix may work but in many others not !I would suggest for eq here the Liftikus free eq its just work really transparent:)

Return to “Effects”