Akai MPK88 - any views?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

GTBannah wrote:It looks like the idea of the Yamaha electric piano with MIDI would be the way to go, except, that there is no after touch. The future is bleak. :)
Well... it is a piano. So what do you need aftertouch for? Aftertouch is more a synth feature. The fast key action required for synth stuff is more suited to a smaller (master)keyboard that has such features. I have a cheap EMU XBoard which has MIDI layering and aftertouch and works just fine in my home studio. The knobs are enough but are analog so not very usefull for multitrack mastering. That was the reason I was interested in the MPK88.

I have my KX8 with knob mappings for piano and master volume and two return effect tracks. The KX8 has just 4 digital knobs but enough for tweaking stuff for that instrument track only. I use Ableton Live 8 by the way as my main DAW.

CinningBao wrote:I just wanted to add, that this problem can be resolved, and get the pads responding like the larger MPC unit pads, by looking at this
http://offwhitenoise.blogspot.com/2010/ ... ation.html
Interesting modification! But not something I would do when I buy a brand new one as it would void your warranty.

For what it's worth... I just returned from my local music store to checkout some 88 key masterkeyboards and I was pretty disappointed by both the MPK 88 and the NUMA nano. The keys are very loud, the keyaction _feels_ somewhat cheap and nonlinear, and also the case finishing does not do a device for EUR 700 any justice.

Ok, I confess i'm spoiled, I have a V-Piano here that comes for ten times the price -- but then again you pay a lot of research and development plus sound engine for that particular device. Originally I planned to add expand my setup with one of the aforementioned controller keyboards since the V-Piano takes a while to boot and is absolutely _not_ mobile (40 kilo gramms)

Bottom line, neither one of those masterkeyboards suits me. I will probably go for a non-weighted 61 keys instead.

Well, a few weeks ago, I got the MPK 61 and it feels surprisingly good! I've only done preliminary experimenting with it. I've gotten the first eight draw bars on the DB 33 in ProTools to respond to the eight faders on the 'board, and the ninth drawbar to respond to one of the knobs; that's how I plan to work around the "eight fader" issue.

When school closes for mid-term I'll get a bit deeper. Re the key-noise on the MPK 88, has anyone ever played a Rhodes with the volume down? :lol:
Derrkins

If tha's what you hear, play it!

GTBannah wrote:Well, a few weeks ago, I got the MPK 61 and it feels surprisingly good! I've only done preliminary experimenting with it. I've gotten the first eight draw bars on the DB 33 in ProTools to respond to the eight faders on the 'board, and the ninth drawbar to respond to one of the knobs; that's how I plan to work around the "eight fader" issue.

When school closes for mid-term I'll get a bit deeper. Re the key-noise on the MPK 88, has anyone ever played a Rhodes with the volume down? :lol:
Hey, I was wondering what you thought about the keys on the MPK 61. I have been researching bus powered midi controllers and at this point the MPK 61 looks to be the best bet. However, many reviews say that the velocity sensitivity on the MPK 61 is way too high and problematic for piano players (because of the higher velocity needed to play pianos vs. digital synths). Also, are the keys cheap and plastic-y?

Matthew Lien wrote:I checked out this keyboard with full intention to buy, but I felt the quality (as in "low") was a serious issue. The keys actually still have the flashing (left-over plastic from the mould) on them! Even the Casio sitting nearby had better quality finishing to their keys than this Akai!

I am really sorry to say I'll have to pass. Akai should know we expect better from them (certainly better than Casio!).

Looks like I'll have to opt for a Kurzweil SP3x... same action as Fatar, but better quality overall, I suspect, even though I'm paying for a few sounds I don't really need.
Hope that works out for you. I don't know if i'd make that decision. If you dig fatar why not get a mkii 61?

That's a lotta bucks to blow just for 88 keys.
Junglist

k.h wrote:
GTBannah wrote:Well, a few weeks ago, I got the MPK 61 and it feels surprisingly good! I've only done preliminary experimenting with it. I've gotten the first eight draw bars on the DB 33 in ProTools to respond to the eight faders on the 'board, and the ninth drawbar to respond to one of the knobs; that's how I plan to work around the "eight fader" issue.

Hey, I was wondering what you thought about the keys on the MPK 61. I have been researching bus powered midi controllers and at this point the MPK 61 looks to be the best bet. However, many reviews say that the velocity sensitivity on the MPK 61 is way too high and problematic for piano players (because of the higher velocity needed to play pianos vs. digital synths). Also, are the keys cheap and plastic-y?
O.K., let's start here; in my opinion, the original DX7 set the bar for synth keys and Yamaha dropped the ball after that.
That said, I don't find the keys on the MPK 61 to be uncomfortable. There is a nice "resistance" to them, but they don't "spring back" at you, rather, they return to position with your finger. I didn't find any "flashing" on the keys.

As a pianist myself, I understand the concern about velocity, but your DAW may allow you to set a "velocity input threshold", so that there would be some attenuation of velocities; ProTools has something like that.

I hope that helps. :)
Derrkins

If tha's what you hear, play it!

Old post, but wondered if anyone could offer some help or suggestions.

I bought the Akai MPK 88 at the start of this month & a couple of days ago i noticed some strange.

I have noticed traces of oil on the PCB directly beneath the keybed. I guess the oil is maybe from the keybed "damping" system? Not sure as i cannot find any information on the web about this. The support from Akai seems to be non existent.

I am concerned about the long term effects of this oil on the PCB ( as well as there being some fault causing the oil to be present in the first place).

May be a good idea to contact the shop i purchased it from?

Any comments welcomed.

I owned a Akai MPK 88 for close to a year. never had issues like this when I had mine.

I would definitely talk with the place you purchased it and see what they have to say. They may replace the unit if its a recent purchase.

if it is a fault in the keybed and not covered under warrantee then you would have to replace the keybed - that's a LOT of money considering the MPK 88 is a controller keyboard.

check with the place you purchased to start and see what they say.

Thank you for the reply. It is a brand new purchase........I sent a message to the shop today & awaiting a response from them.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”