Satson vs Britson vs ReelBus vs Redline Preamp Demo Comparison

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Britson Redline Preamp Satson TB ReelBus v3 Virtual Console Collection (VCC) Virtual Tape Machines (VTM)

I can't hear the tape hiss but I do hear the overhyped lo end better this time around. BUT that is the "radio ready" ish type sound most people are looking for :shrug:

I have reelbuss and after listening again I feel it polishes nicely w/o over hyping anything.

Remember something about satson/britson, they are a console model, not a tape saturation thing. So realistically we are comparing things that probably shouldn't.

Oh indeed, that's why I wanted to put RoundTone into it, and also why I'm confused why the Slate was was both VCC and VTM.

But it still just sounds like it hypes up the sound, using cheap trickery

I wasnt listening for 'punch' or anything so much, I was trying to tell what happened to the timbre and tone of it, and frequenct balance, and compression. I'm also glad that I genuinely did enjoy Britson's sound more than Satsons.

I liked the Redline preamp too, it also adds something that I cant really tell what it is. Some definite 'mojo' tho, whatever that means.

The thing with Slate VCC is when turned on N setting all it does is raises the low end
and also raises the volume while Britson, Satson and the other do somehing different.
You can download the file directly from SC, the Bypassed one, its 24 Bit Wave.
I am wondering, i have all these plugins, is it worth getting Nebula on top of this?
I can afford it but i don't know if i should get it, i am already choked with plugins.
Reality is a Condition due to Lack of Weed!

Ok, I'm confused. The slate is a combination? I missed that.

Slate VCC is only Console Emulations, it has 4 different of which one is Neve.
Same as Britson or Satson, while Reelbus is a Tape Emulation and Redline
Preamp is just a Preamp Emulation.

hibidy wrote:Ok, I'm confused. The slate is a combination? I missed that.
Yep, unless it's labled wrong, it says VCC VTM on the soundcloud link.
BasariStudios wrote: I am wondering, i have all these plugins, is it worth getting Nebula on top of this?
I can afford it but i don't know if i should get it, i am already choked with plugins.
Dude. What makes you think you need any more plugins?

Not only this, what makes you think you need the ones you have already? You're wasting your money.

If you're 'wondering if you need a plugin' I can assure you, you DONT.

Lol, thanks Itneveris, i probably and most likely have a lot more then i need now.
As for the VCC VTM, it is correct, what i used is first the VTM then the VCC on
each channel, a proper chain, first the Tape then the Channel input.
The reason i asked for Nebula is i read all this talks about it...would i get anything
better then Redline Preamp or Britson, Satson or ReelBus?

Well, what I read about nebula is it's the bomb, but it's too much of a resource hog even on powerful computers. I've never tried it because with all the complaining, it just seemed like I'd probably get my hopes up for kick ass sound and then be pissed about all the problems.

Meh, it's the 'perfection' angle.

Perfection to me is NOT when nothing more can be added, but when nothing more can be taken away.

On a deeper philosophical level, Nebula doesnt matter, and on a practical level you especially dont need it if you already have like 5 console/tape emulations.

Start mixing and learning the tools you have.

This guy Joe Gilder who runs an audio website, as well as making his living working with clients uses just the stock Studio One plugins. He makes better mixes than most of us

But it's SO much fun to talk about this stuff! :hyper:

Slate is higher in Volume on Neve Setting always but also is more Bassy,
i did not try to really compensate the Volume.
I was wondering something on chaining, PSP MixSaturator 2 and Redline
Preamp, i know Redline is a Preamp and in my knowledge will usually go
after the Tape on the input and before the Console Emulation (if i am correct)
but if i use PSP MixSaturator, where in the chain would that be as a Saturator?

Thanks

Where ever it sounds best :tu:

We're working in digital, and so have this ability. If you were working in analog, you wouldnt have the options, and you'd know exactly where things would fit, by necessity.

Thank god we arent still stuck in analog domain.

My point being, I did the whole, "pretend like its analoge, limit yourself" and thats fun for like 2 months, and then it isnt. We're in digital, and the digital abilities we have RULE.

I used to worry so much about my signal chain as well, and it took up more time and thought power than my mixes did, and ultimately made the whole thing a chore("OH NO! I put my tape emulator AFTER the console on accident!!")

Sorry, just my 2 cents

I like the Britson the best. In fact, I like it enough that I would like to buy this but apparently Diego's site has been down the last few days. Wonder what that's all about. :?

Redline and Slate didn't do much that excited me. I can appreciate what Satson (that I already own) is doing but I really dig the enhancement that Britson has on the low end.

Reelbus was a nice surprise. I've been finding that when it comes to analog modeling/sampling, I enjoy the more dramatic effect of tape more so than console saturation.

Reel bus is cool, but I couldnt help but feeling that it was just too much, like a caricature of a tape recording.

Return to “Effects”