I have to get THAT synth...until I own it :(

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
OnePingOnly

I've made many mistakes in my purchases, but I am surprised at the OP's list and some of the subsequent other selections here.

Some things I don't like to use, but really enjoy playing with, and that's still useful to me.

Comfort level isn't everything, and ironically I think this thread proves it.

ontol wrote:After a year of GAS, I finally came up with a single question that helps me decide to buy or not:

What does this do that I cannot do with what I already own?

If the answer is little to nothing, I don't buy it
I have a similar experience. I feel I got rid of the GAS this time especially from Synths. I don't think it will affect me again (at least not like in the past).

The synth that I was so excited when I bought it, but then uninstalled it and never used, is IL Morphine. What a disappointment :(

Synths I don't use so often:
Rapture, XILS 3 le, Z3ta+1+2, The Mangle, kHs One, NI Prism, ScannedSynth Pro and IL Harmor.

Synths I use sometimes and might use them more in the future:
NI Absynth, Padshop pro, Wavestation, Mono/Poly and M1

Synths that I usually use (and enjoy very much the sound and GUI) are: NI Massive, Retrologue (how I forgot it! :smack: ), Polysix, MS-20 (not very GUI friendly though), NI Razor, NI Monark (which I sold and bought again!) and the new added ones (very old indeed!) from Reason Land, Subtractor, Malstrom and Thor!

Two synths I regret selling sometimes and they are: FM8 and DCAM Synth Squad. I might get them again or buy RE PX7 and Tress for Reason. Other than that I don't feel GAS for any synth :-D
Last edited by EnGee on Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Like Engee, I find some I use and those I rarely or never use.
The Korg stuff brings up an interesting experience though.
Bought the package in an upgrade price after getting a NanoPad2.
I had the original, loved it when it worked, sold it with a MS20c and moved on. Only thought about its worth in a personal history and the fact they dumped the dongle helped a lot. Then after finding it worked so much better this time around, shelved it, thinking I would probably prefer more updated VIs. Opened them on a lark a month or so ago and re-found the love I had for them in the beginning.
TBF, DimPro and Rapture, along with a coupon for free Z3ta+2 came with the DAW and are NFR. Of the three, only Rapture really gets used, and rarely. I downloaded all the IL Demos, and after a month of playing with them, found I only liked two of them, but don't need either one. I have since decided that if they were being sold on some 'SDOTD' or other 50-90% off blowout, I would jump on them though.
Things that have come back around for a second wave of interest though include the M1, Wavestation, MonoPoly, Absynth, FM8.

For that reason, I try to keep everything I got, just in case the mood changes and I suddenly need it. And with the NFRs, what else can I do anyway?
AAS;Camel Audio;Korg;Modartt;Native Instruments;Roland;Sonar;Steinberg;U-he;Yamaha

Ingonator wrote:
BBFG# wrote:I also have a list of NFRs...
Anyway here is a list of softsynths i had purchased and not really used for a while:

~
- Sylenth1
~
- Synplant (started to use again after 64-bit version was released ; license could not be transferred anyway)
~
Ingo
Wish I could take those off your hands for you haha. :D

You folks that sell stuff after using them a bit... what do you do if you used them in projects? Do you render those tracks to audio before you sell the plugs, and leave it that way, or do you not actually ever go back to earlier projects?
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Jace-BeOS wrote:You folks that sell stuff after using them a bit... what do you do if you used them in projects? Do you render those tracks to audio before you sell the plugs, and leave it that way, or do you not actually ever go back to earlier projects?
I go back and renders stuff. Real pain. Still, beats not being able to sell stuff you no longer use. Protip: render all your finished tunes into stems so you don't have to worry about plugins in future.

BBFG# wrote:
For that reason, I try to keep everything I got, just in case the mood changes and I suddenly need it. And with the NFRs, what else can I do anyway?
I'm torn between this idea and to be a minimalist :cry:

Anyway, I'm waiting the parts to assemble my new desktop and I decided to try to be minimalist (well, compared to my laptop at least!).
I will install Reason and Live 8 intro with just one VSTi :o (mostly NI Massive because it is capable to produce many sounds). I will resist to install anything else! (it also applied on games! Just one game at a time!).
Damn! I'm wasting so much time browsing/playing around! I need to produce instead!
One capable synth would be a very rewarding experience, which lead me to answer Jace-BeOS's question that my past projects are a real mess! I can't return to them anymore (I mean the Midi, automation ..etc). I just have the wav files. I have changed a lot in my synths and I don't want to do that anymore!
Being minimalist is a good solution. I will treat the soft synth as it is like a hardware synth (or a workstation). In this way when I return to my old projects, it would be easy. One host (using it's own drums/instruments/effects) and one synth I keep using it all the time. I will try this way with my next setup :party:

Software: too many now unused, though I can't (yet) be arsed to sell them on.

But the reason I drop by here is to say that I had a real 'head-heart' battle in deciding whether to buy, or not buy, an excellent condition Elka Synthex during the past few days.

The head (and my wallet) won out in the end, but mainly because the Synthex is so frigging large and heavy (30KG, without even a case) that it would mock me if it sat in my studio without being efficiently used to make up at least one new patch every week...

Jace-BeOS wrote:You folks that sell stuff after using them a bit... what do you do if you used them in projects? Do you render those tracks to audio before you sell the plugs, and leave it that way, or do you not actually ever go back to earlier projects?
Render unless I forget and then I have to try and replace the sound which ruins everything. I forgot to render before I sold Razor and I didn't realize how much I used it till it was too late.
EnGee wrote: I'm torn between this idea and to be a minimalist...

I will install Reason and Live 8 intro with just one VSTi :o (mostly NI Massive because it is capable to produce many sounds).
Being a minimalist is the way to go IMO. I love looking at my bare bones plugin list, it feels so much better and speeds everything up.

No synth GAS here. Just a big fat effects GAS.

I don't get it that Z3ta+2 gets so little love in this thread, it is one of the best VSTi's I have. If I had to choose just one plugin at gunpoint :borg: , I choose Z3ta+2.
AMD Ryzen 3900X & RX 5700XT, 128GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Waldorf Blofeld & Pulse 2, Akai MAX49 & MPD226, Steinberg UR44 & CMC controllers
Cubase Pro 13, Nuendo 13, Wavelab Pro 12, Dorico Pro 5, Rapid Composer v5, FL Studio 21

Didn't like Z3ta+2 because the GUI wasn't snappy enough for me. It was like moving in slow-motion.
But Rob Swire of Pendulum/Knife Party is a huge fan.

I loved the sound of Z3ta+ but it was Windows only. When Cakewalk released a Mac version, in v2, I was already poor, plus the way they've supported their existing two Mac soft synths is abysmally lame. All the Windows-only plugs that I like, I load to my Receptor (where possible, and not all are, such as mono out VSTs and others with no support)... the idea being to use them as hardware in Logic via Receptor... but I've yet to do so. I wonder if Receptor itself was a huge mistake purchase for me.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Return to “Instruments”