Audio Damage removed their DRM

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion

Tricky-Loops wrote:
Jace-BeOS wrote:...I've always admired Audio Damage's public image and customer treatment...
:o

Didn't you read all these threads about "I couldn't get any support from Audio Damage"? There have been many complaints in the previous months...

And then, keep in mind that they're removing DRM because the customer support is too much work for them...
Huh. No, I hadn't. I've not been as active on KVR the last few months. Sad to hear this. I know that one of the AD developers is a bit harsh and quick to gripe about my platform of choice, seeing his blog and posts on the developer forum, but I always felt that the customer treatment was outside his personal opinions. Got Links?
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Frantz wrote:Why am I turning into an Audio Damage customer support representative?
No support needed... I don't care about the serial needed, but it's even better without. :wink:

Now, which one of their plugins should I buy next, just to reward them for their wisdom... :clap:

T-CM11 wrote:
Jace-BeOS wrote:DRM is a side effect.

That's what they all say. :D
Jace-BeOS wrote:I've an account and I've bought a bunch of games through it. Satisfied for the most part. The DRM aspect is 100% transparent to me. Unlike music software DRM.
So, how long can you stay offline and keep playing the games?
For me, Steam's DRM is the worst kind of DRM. I buy games from them too, but only at their extremely discounted price. Steam can take your account and your games anytime they deem it appropriate.

DRM from Apple is very similar, but at least there's an offline mode.

DRM for plugins, so long as they are serial number based, I feel okay with. I understand that they're not the most secure, but they're the least intrusive to the customer... the paying customer, and will work even if a company closes it's doors (even if those are virtual, digital domain based doors).

I applaud AudioDamage's efforts. I hope it helps and pays off in some respect. It should at very least cut down on support tickets. A demo version could cut down even more (I'm just saying since there's more than one person posting about lack of follow ups on that whole return policy... but yeah, you said no demos ever, more than a few times).

Jace-BeOS wrote:
Tricky-Loops wrote:
Jace-BeOS wrote:...I've always admired Audio Damage's public image and customer treatment...
:o

Didn't you read all these threads about "I couldn't get any support from Audio Damage"? There have been many complaints in the previous months...

And then, keep in mind that they're removing DRM because the customer support is too much work for them...
Huh. No, I hadn't. I've not been as active on KVR the last few months. Sad to hear this. I know that one of the AD developers is a bit harsh and quick to gripe about my platform of choice, seeing his blog and posts on the developer forum, but I always felt that the customer treatment was outside his personal opinions. Got Links?
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 6&t=401441

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=399357

No idea where my last post went so here's a recap:

Steam has an offline mode:

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_art ... -agcb-2555

Furthermore:
I agree about the evil inherent in a company being able to take back what we've paid for. That's been an issue since the first EULA declared we are licensing (not owning), have no warranty, that software isn't fit for any use, and all the risk is on us. No one fought it then, and now we see the Internet making it easy for companies to act on these anti-consumer policies.

The games I buy on Steam are all deeply discounted. I'll never pay full price for games again, since they're rarely released in any way but a bug-ridden state (i'm looking at you, Deus Ex Human Revolution Director's Cut; glad I bought it on deep discount... cool game though). I'm also dirt poor.

Frankly, software development and buying is a losing game anymore. All the big companies want to extort customers and ignore any accountability, customers have zero rights, and products are never finished or debugged before release, or sometimes EVER. Unless we end up with one unified platform, I see no profit in doing all the work these poor smaller developers do to create relatively bug-free, updated, cross-platform products. I'm glad they try though.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Well after reading those, I have formulated a new and totally blind guess hypothesis: Maybe Audio Damage is planning to cease operation, removing DRM so existing customers don't get screwed when support officially ends, because commercial software development, at their "small" level, is no longer worth the stress to them. Again, wild blind guess hypothesis. They probably do much saner business with the Eurorack hardware devices, since it's a simple and basic interface standard that doesn't have ten billion interacting APIs and libraries, no security patching or "break what works" version changes every year, and can't be pirated. I've seen several software developers go the hardware route for these reasons. It's another reason I think software is on the decline. Hardware will always have code in it, but developing 3rd party product for monolithic systems owned by monstrous companies that don't care about you at all (Apple, Microsoft, Steinberg, etc) is self abuse.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Jace-BeOS wrote:Well after reading those, I have formulated a new and totally blind guess hypothesis: Maybe Audio Damage is planning to cease operation
No, they have two new products in the works. But they do seem to be focusing more on hardware than software lately.

Jace-BeOS wrote:
Well after reading those, I have formulated a new and totally blind guess hypothesis: Maybe Audio Damage is planning to cease operation, removing DRM so existing customers don't get screwed when support officially ends, because commercial software development, at their "small" level, is no longer worth the stress to them. Again, wild blind guess hypothesis. They probably do much saner business with the Eurorack hardware devices, since it's a simple and basic interface standard that doesn't have ten billion interacting APIs and libraries, no security patching or "break what works" version changes every year, and can't be pirated. I've seen several software developers go the hardware route for these reasons. It's another reason I think software is on the decline. Hardware will always have code in it, but developing 3rd party product for monolithic systems owned by monstrous companies that don't care about you at all (Apple, Microsoft, Steinberg, etc) is self abuse.
Well, for hardware you don't need copy protection, that's an advantage for sure. But then keep in mind that only a few people will buy hardware racks as most of them don't have enough cash and most people don't want to stuff their home studio with hardware again. That's why I love the Audio Damage plugins - because they're innovative AND inexpensive, and they don't need any space in my mini studio. But if they offer "full-return-without-explanations" policy instead of a demo, and then they simply don't answer customer emails, then it's pretty lame... :(

T-CM11 wrote: Now, which one of their plugins should I buy next, just to reward them for their wisdom... :clap:
My top 3 picks:

1. Dr. Device - Delay with resonant filter in the feedback path including distortion and bit crusher effects. Instead of LFOs, bouncing pucks do the modulation. It has a unique lo-fi sound that I like.

2. Filter Station - It's like a simplified version of The Drop. Why would anyone want this when The Drop is so accurately modeled? It uses almost no CPU, it's very easy to use, and it sounds pretty good.

3. Pan Station - Why do you need this? Can't you just automate pan? You can but this supports multiple pan laws and multiple pan patterns. It can do some stuff you can't easily do with automation. Like all of their stuff, it's easy to use.

Speaking of AD, I bought Discord 3 a couple of years ago and I heard it's been updated recently, but I can't update it.
There is no button, no link, and no reply from the developer.

Constructed Identity wrote:Speaking of AD, I bought Discord 3 a couple of years ago and I heard it's been updated recently, but I can't update it.

Did you login to your account? Discord3 is available for update in my account.

Frantz wrote:
Constructed Identity wrote:Speaking of AD, I bought Discord 3 a couple of years ago and I heard it's been updated recently, but I can't update it.

Did you login to your account? Discord3 is available for update in my account.
Never created an account, why would I create an account? more spam.

Constructed Identity wrote: Never created an account, why would I create an account? more spam.
Because that's how you download updates. For example, here are some of the AD plugins in my account. If you are running Windows, you click VST WIN to download them.

elxsound wrote: For me, Steam's DRM is the worst kind of DRM. I buy games from them too, but only at their extremely discounted price. Steam can take your account and your games anytime they deem it appropriate.

DRM for plugins, so long as they are serial number based, I feel okay with. I understand that they're not the most secure, but they're the least intrusive to the customer... the paying customer, and will work even if a company closes it's doors (even if those are virtual, digital domain based doors).
Exactly. Steam is ok only because one can get some games for real cheap. And there have already been cases where gamers have been left without their bought games. I remember a particular guy got his account closed just because he was criticizing Steam on their forum. Steam closed his account with several thousand dollars worth of games. Of course they backpedaled and made up some bullshit excuse when this caused a public outrage and got out in the gaming media.

Now there's fortunately also GOG that has great service and offers everything DRM-free and in easily back-upable format. I have so long backlog there now that I will never be buying another game on Steam probably ever as I do not have so much time for gaming anyway these days.

But what I'm wondering is how did AD's serial protection cause any problems. Quite interesting. Personally I have not been a fan of their plugins as I can't stand most of their GUI's and also I have all the bases covered anyway. But indeed I now might buy couple of things like Replicant and Richochet that I have been eying just to show some support.
No signature here!

Frantz wrote:
T-CM11 wrote: Now, which one of their plugins should I buy next, just to reward them for their wisdom... :clap:
My top 3 picks:

1. Dr. Device - Delay with resonant filter in the feedback path including distortion and bit crusher effects. Instead of LFOs, bouncing pucks do the modulation. It has a unique lo-fi sound that I like.

2. Filter Station - It's like a simplified version of The Drop. Why would anyone want this when The Drop is so accurately modeled? It uses almost no CPU, it's very easy to use, and it sounds pretty good.
Thanks for the tips!
But I think I've got those things covered already. (I have: Timeless 2, RP Delay, Permut8, Ohmboyz, Volcano 2, Etch, Quad Frohmage)

Return to “Effects”