I have to get THAT synth...until I own it :(

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
OnePingOnly

Right now I have Harmor and I don't use it much, the GUI is not friednly at all. I tested Fabfilter twin and I liked to work it much, but no money :(
dedication to flying

Nowadays i only use Zebra, Massive, and Sylenth. Sometime synthmaster too.

The one that i don't use anymore are Retrologue and Zeta2. Both are such a PITA to sell so basically they are NFR. And i also have FM8, Absynth and The Reaktor synth (Razor and Monark are excellent though) that is only there because i upgraded to ultimate during sales.

Luckily as i use and learn synth, i've develop lesser appetite for collecting them. No more GAS, the last synth related purchase i made was the komplete upgrade.
musisikamar.com

BBFG# wrote:I also have a list of NFRs...
I got a bunch of NFRs too but most of them get used here, several are even with my favorites.

Anyway here is a list of softsynths i had purchased and not really used for a while:

- Alchemy (already sold all soundsets i got for it)
- Chameleon 5000 (upgraded to Alchemy from it so i would have to sell both...)
- Sylenth1
- Synth Squad (transfer fee too high that it makes really sense to sell...)
- ImpOSCar 2
- Cakewalk Rapture
- Cakewalk Z3TA+ 2
- Synplant (started to use again after 64-bit version was released ; license could not be transferred anyway)
- TAL U-NO-LX V2 (was great when it was released but not used for a while)
- Most of the stuff from NI Komplete 6, except FM8 + Kontakt 4
- IK Samplemoog
- BLOK Modular
- VAZ 2010
- Audio Damage Phosphor
- Adam Szabo JP6K (currently replaced with JP-8000 oscillator in Diva)

The list will maybe get longer as i try to rely on a smaller amount of commercial synths (maybe still too many for many people...) besides the NFRs i got.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

As I often say,
"I don't have GAS, I have a Bundle Disorder." :wink:
Like two of their plugins? Well for the same price they'll give you all five with a handful of effects!
... So many were not really wanted in the first place.
But some of them have become quite useful. Even if they aren't 'go-to-first' synths, they are something nice to explore or add.
Some may never get used though... or sold since they 'came locked in the bundle'.
AAS;Camel Audio;Korg;Modartt;Native Instruments;Roland;Sonar;Steinberg;U-he;Yamaha

This is what makes demos so nice.
You know whether it will do something for you before you buy it.
How much it will do, or how long it will do it remains to be seen, but at least you have a much better idea before hand.

There are demos that made me lose interest in them twenty minutes after installing them. And others I thought great, but too expensive. It's a clear sign I may get it if I don't uninstall it, even when it has annoying demo restrictions. Then it seems more about the price. Actually, it's secondarily always about the price. 8)
AAS;Camel Audio;Korg;Modartt;Native Instruments;Roland;Sonar;Steinberg;U-he;Yamaha

BBFG# wrote:This is what makes demos so nice.
How much it will do, or how long it will do it remains to be seen, but at least you have a much better idea before hand.

There are demos that made me lose interest in them twenty minutes after installing them. And others I thought great, but too expensive. It's a clear sign I may get it if I don't uninstall it, even when it has annoying demo restrictions. Then it seems more about the price. Actually, it's secondarily always about the price. 8)
The problem is that all those plugins i mentioned were great when i got them but after a while get rarely or never used. You could not solve this problem during a short demo period.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Ingonator wrote:
BBFG# wrote:This is what makes demos so nice.
The problem is that all those plugins i mentioned were great when i got them but after a while get rarely or never used. You could not solve this problem during a short demo period.
Ingo
Tone 2 is my best example of this. Great demo at a ten minute per session timeout with no other annoying dropouts or noise. (Wish Diva was like that). I couldn't get past the price though and had too much fun with them to uninstall at the same time. When Nemesis hit though, I reached a point where I finally uninstalled them all. Then a BS-BOGO sale hit and I found I had four of them. And the two most played are the first one I wanted (Glad2) and the last one I thought the least of (Nemesis). Sometimes a short demo is enough to know that you DON'T want them. Or at least to know if it is a sound that overlaps what you already have.
And the ones without any demo don't seem to be able to get me to buy them at all. (We all know who I'm talking about there EP). ;)

Sometimes it goes the other way though, as in, "I didn't think much of the synth UNTIL I owned it." (And that has always been preceded by a demo first.)

What sometimes keeps me from buying stuff is that I am very slow and thorough when making purchasing decisions. Synths like Dune or Ultra Analog might still be of interest to me, but since I already had the demos on my computer months or even a year or so ago, they no longer work due to the time limit. And of course I won't buy a plugin based on distant memories 8)

Even though I have bought a lot of stuff, I can't see myself selling anything.

I don't think there is a plug I bought which I am truly disatisfied with, all plugs got their space.

The only thing I can remember to have sold is Reaktor, that was because I bought Komplete which came with Reaktor.

I might sell my copy of Reason Essentials, because now I got full version of Reason.

Bought Rapture, used it 3-4 times, uninstalled it.
Bought Dimension Pro, used it 3-4 times, uninstalled it.
Bought Synthmaster, used it 3-4 times, uninstalled it.
Bought M1 Legacy.. still installed.
Bought Wavestation Legacy.. still installed.
Bought Alchemy.. still installed.
Bought Zebra, which is how Synthmaster and Rapture ended up uninstalled. Probably be installed forever.
Bought Absynth.. might end up uninstalling the Wavestation finally.
I have a pile of Kontakt Player banks, possibly the M1 will go soon as well.

I had gone over eight months without buying a new instrument, just soundbanks, until I demoed Zebra, and it was too good to not own.

Now, EFFECTS.. omg.. seems like I buy one month! :cry: :cry: I was good this month until Audio Damage emailed me about the sale.. oh well, I like Dr. Device. :shrug:
Bandcamp: https://suitcaseoflizards.bandcamp.com/
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN4kuy ... Dx4ziLn3ng
Now a Relay Radio DJ! http:/www.relay-radio.com

I find if I run THAT synth through This Plugin, it's like a whole new instrument.

i like changing things up, and i DON'T keep ANYTHING i don't use. so...have done things like purchasing a new synth plugin, then selling it a week later (right here at the kvraudio marketplace). have sold a bunch of plugins.

one of them, massive...sold it because it kept crashing logic 9. then, last week, decided i missed it...so bought it again, and it's stable in logic X. but i BOUGHT IT on the marketplace here; a good place to look for bargains...

thankfully, MANY developers offer at least some sort of demo; for those that don't, it's either buy-try, then sell if, or...let it go.

am, sigh, a 'buy-try-sell if' person....

Most of what I bought goes unused. It's shameful the money I spent, and a list would be long and boring. But most of that stuff was good; it wasn't poor GUI or sound that lost my interest (though Tassman's builder and library are definitely reasons I don't use it much). Mostly I got sick of Sonar/Windows and stopped making music for a while. So the 3rd party stuff was largely built up around that OS/DAW combo, and my feel for using them was tainted by the system/DAW problems.

When I moved to Logic, I started making more music again, and started porting Sonar projects to Logic, but wasn't using much of the 3rd party plugin pile I have (just the few plugins required by my projects, which were created with them, that were actually cross-platform). I still use Reaktor and Pianoteq quite a bit, but all the rest of the 3rd party stuff is either Windows-only (some sad losses there), not ported to Mac 64-bit (more sad losses), or even still not supporting Mac Intel (or requiring me to spend money to get the intel support), and just generally not demanding my interest. I kinda have most of what I need in Logic (though I'd take CM-505 over Ultrabeat!), and I've started to do more patch editing/creation on my own, as well as trying to record stuff from my hardware synths/effects. There's so much good third party stuff out there, and in my license pile, but I found I didn't actually NEED it. Still, I open them up and play with presets to see if anything inspires new melodies, rhythms, or songs. There are some third party packages I still love even if I'm not regularly using them in new tracks (Korg Legacy, for example). I'll probably start using third party stuff more again, once I shake out the "won't pay to upgrade" lot from the bunch after I upgrade to a new Mac and make the move to 64-bit AU only in Logic X.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

:borg:
Last edited by ontol on Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I only have 5 payware synths. I use Alchemy and Cypher as players, but I use Diva, Strobe, LuSH-101, and Monark heavily. I don't feel like I need anything else.

I have a NFR Synthmaster, but I never use it.

Return to “Instruments”