To SynthEdit or not to SynthEdit

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
SynthEdit

The_Hidden_Goose wrote:The synth I use most is Phonec (it's the default instrument in my custom init. project). There's very little I've done since it came out that doesn't use it somewhere. It may well be stuffed with their own proprietary modules though (never checked).
The folder is full of CK custom modules, they sound excellent, one of the LP filters is nasty in 24db mode and with resonance, the 3rd one if I remember correctly. Very good for funky stuff :)

But unless I have missed an update there still are some issues resulting from the previous update. When I load a patch and press the new retrigger button in the osc section, I can't turn retrigger off again, even if the light is off. The sound still retriggers.

I would use Phonec more if it had a bigger/more ergonomic interface, the current one is simply too small for my eyes, contrast sucks as well with some controls.

Oh...not come across that bug on mine. I do agree about the interface size, although not for myself. I've heard others complain about that.

Had a feeling that the CK filters were in action there from my own diddlings with the CK packs. I was gutted that they aren't going to be updated for the latest sdk and 64bit and whatever the future brings. I've had plenty of use from them in the past, although I've slowed down on making things in synthedit and focused on making music a bit more - it's kinda cyclical with me, I'll spend time learning the instruments and sometimers making them, and then I'll spend time using them. If I try to split my time between the research side and the writing side I tend to be far less productive on both sides!

edit: v1.4 is the current one I use - maybe the bug is there but I haven't noticed...
Q. Why is a mouse when it spins?
A. The higher the fewer.

Yes, I also have 1.4. The bug seems to affect only my own user patches, not the factory presets. I have tried saving my own patches again after opening them in the new version, but the bug is still there. As if the setting of the previously opened patch is simply not updated when opening a new patch.
The mere sound quality of that synth is really good, much better than with 99% of SE synths, which makes me a bit angry that the user interface renders it all but useless on my 24-inch display. That gui is a worst-case scenario in terms of contrast :)

Might be a stupid quesiton, but have you reported it? Might be something they can fix easily...
A. The higher the fewer.

Ouch...I'll see if I can reproduce it on mine tonight. If it's the same I'll send a bug report myself - maybe the wight of mutliple peeps with the the same problem with jog them on to sort it out
A. The higher the fewer.

Thanks :) I have uploaded a bass patch of mine, where you can hear the difference well:
https://app.box.com/s/gvdd5vl4td1lgib2uv2a
Load it in a new instance of Phonec, play around a bit on the 3rd or 4th octave to memorize the sound, then switch Retrigger on, and off, the sound will not return to the off setting...

OK this might weird u out...

When I load your patch I'm getting the same problem, but I can't seem to recreate it with a patch I'm making - I'm using the same oscillator settings and everything else is as close as I can get it without having them both loaded and comparing visually. Didn't want to do that as I'm not sure if having them both loaded in the same project might alter whatever's causing it.

Gonna play with it a bit more and see what I can see...

edit: I need my ears checking - fiddled with it a bit and got it closer to yours in sound, my filter settings were a bit different maybe before and it was masking the effect a bit. Yes, I'm getting the same thing!
A. The higher the fewer.

That is because you make your patch already in the latest version, so there is no bug of course. As I said, my patches were made with a previous version, 1.3 I suppose :)
Still, one might think opening an old patch in the new version and saving it might remove the problem. But that is not so...

no you're right, I'll link to this topic in my bug report so they can get to the patch if you haven't already sent them one over.
A. The higher the fewer.

I still got love for SE though, and Phonec...

My feeble attempt to rerail the thread! :P
A. The higher the fewer.

I assume some module is not configured right, such a complex synth must look like a mess in SE :)
I had the same issue with an older SuperWave plugin. But after saving the old patches in the new version all new parameters worked fine.
I still have some older DAW projects and when I load them it sometimes says 3 parameters missing because meanwhile I have switched back to an older version of a specific plugin for certain reasons :hihi:

I guess adding new parameters is always tricky, both in SE and proprietary synths.

I would like to see Swierk using Phonec's oscillators and filters, that would be one cool bread-and-butter SE synth :)

I must admit my first big projects in SE were an absolute mess! It would take me hours just figuring out what the hell is doing what.

I did pick up some better organisation and housekeeping in it eventually, but yeah - the bigger it is the more of a headache it gets to debug problems - often I'd leave them in and just deal with it for my own stuff or abandon it if it was simply taking too much of my time. But that's down to my laziness. Can't really blame SE for that!
A. The higher the fewer.

whyterabbyt wrote:
NEK-X wrote:This discussion is actually pointless.
Either you use 64 bits PC´s... and renounce many good Freeware.
Or you use furthermore 32 bit Systems... and has a lot of fun :D
Or run 32-bit plugins in a 32-bit host on a 64-bit system
Or run 32-bit-plugins in a 64-bit host via a bridge.
Hang on, I thought discussion was pointless....

Return to “Instruments”