SonicProjects OP-X PRO-II - I'm surprised this doesn't get talked about more

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
OB-Xd - Virtual Analog Synthesizer OP-X Pro

I haven't touched OP-X PRO-II in quite a while, mainly because it's the only softsyth I have left that is still a lowly 32-bit, but in my quest to find some inspiring classic analog sounding material, I reinstalled it and used JBridge with Cubase 7-64bit. After a full day yesterday of going through all 990 presets I have to say that I was truly blown away just how good the thing sounds. I own dozen of great softsynths, including Diva, but for pure classic synth fun I would take the OP-X PRO-II over Diva any day of the week. I don't know who did all the presets for it, but MAN he/she/they did a great job! It's kind of sad that you rarely hear anything from the guys at SonicProjects these days because they REALLY need to be creating more softsynths IMO.

Anyway....nuff said.

quantum7 wrote: It's kind of sad that you rarely hear anything from the guys at SonicProjects these days because they REALLY need to be creating more softsynths IMO.
Maybe they are all too busy hanging round forums, to work on new synths instead ;)

you should also check this superb Oberheim OB-X clone which is free and x64 already: https://obxd.wordpress.com/ :)
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

OP-X Pro is a fantastic synth with only one shortcoming, which isn't really noticable in busy mixes: It's top end varies from note to note, such that a spectrogram produces a "skyline" type of effect. The worst notes have no frequencies above just over half of nyquist, and are noticably dull compared to, say, the next note up, which will have a full compliment of harmonics.

Does it take away from the richness of the sound? Not really. You can look at it as organic character. It can sound a bit odd when you have a lot of resonance and the cutoff frequency high - you can really hear parts of the top end disappear and come back, because sometimes the filter will have nothing to work with.

That and the GUI, which I find tiresome to be honest, are the only really bad things about it. It's got a very vivid sound and it's a joy to play through the presets. If they can fix the GUI and overzealous AA filter, it would be up there among the best.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

I would agree about the GUI, but didn't really notice the "frequency" issue, though.....probably because I was having so much fun reliving those old classic sounds. Ya, if they fix some of those shortcomings, and finally get the thing to 64-bit, SonicProjects would have a masterpiece.

Is that high-frequency behavior deliberate or the consequence of some programming issues? If I remember correctly that synth has a bright button or whatever it was called.
The GUI is really bad for people who don't have 20/20 vision. For me it was all but useless, frankly, especially the buttons at the top. Several people have told the developer, but he seems to be one of those stubborn ones who think their opinion is more important than that of potential customers :roll:

yeah, i thought it had per-voice filter offsets or something (like a 'real' OB-Xa would). maybe those are set weird on yours.

No, the frequency issue isn't anything to do with the synthesis filter or any of the settings in the synth. Each note has a specific brickwall filter before it even reaches the resonant filter, it's an overzealous antialiasing filter most likely, but the fact that it sets a cutoff based on what note you play, rather than what voice gets the note, plus the brickwall-style nonresoant filter profile gives it away.

It's one of those problems that only really notices if you know it's there and are looking for it, but it does mean I'd never use that synth for crisp sounds. And in my experience, just because you can't reliably notice something, that doesn't mean it's not important.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

OP-X PRO-II is imho a fantastic sounding VST. It can sound extremly broad and warm. When comes to sync/unisono sounds it cuts through metal. The preset library contains tons of excellent bread and butter sounds from the 70s and 80s. (...except the Laser Harp sound :).

OBXD is also amazing. Just applying an envelope to the filter, use unison with slightly increased spread. This dense mighty sound gives me goosebumps.

In my opinion OPX Pro II is THE Soft synth to beat, nothing else touches it for authentic Analog sounds even Diva I'm afraid to say as an owner.

Positively deadly sounding synth IMHO. I have it and enjoy using it.
D Scarlatti, Dell XPS8700 i7/8gb mem/1tb hd/Steiny UR22/Presonus ER5s/Nektar LX61 kbd ctrlr/Win 10 Pro/S1 4.6/ my music here: https://www.magix.info/us/profile/my-profile/media/

Between this and Diva it's analog warmth heaven. Peter has a really good ear and it shows in the mountain of awesome presets.

quantum7 wrote:I haven't touched OP-X PRO-II in quite a while, mainly because it's the only softsyth I have left that is still a lowly 32-bit, but in my quest to find some inspiring classic analog sounding material, I reinstalled it and used JBridge with Cubase 7-64bit. After a full day yesterday of going through all 990 presets I have to say that I was truly blown away just how good the thing sounds. I own dozen of great softsynths, including Diva, but for pure classic synth fun I would take the OP-X PRO-II over Diva any day of the week. I don't know who did all the presets for it, but MAN he/she/they did a great job! It's kind of sad that you rarely hear anything from the guys at SonicProjects these days because they REALLY need to be creating more softsynths IMO.

Anyway....nuff said.

Bought it for 6 months while it was on sale last year and is using it with a 32bit DAW. Same as you that I have quite a lot of soft synths but the sound of this synth is just amazing. I can tell you that by just playing those "classic" patches (like JUMP/99 red ballons etc etc etc ...) is worth the price ... haha

AGREED +1 :clap:
quantum7 wrote:I haven't touched OP-X PRO-II in quite a while, mainly because it's the only softsyth I have left that is still a lowly 32-bit, but in my quest to find some inspiring classic analog sounding material, I reinstalled it and used JBridge with Cubase 7-64bit. After a full day yesterday of going through all 990 presets I have to say that I was truly blown away just how good the thing sounds. I own dozen of great softsynths, including Diva, but for pure classic synth fun I would take the OP-X PRO-II over Diva any day of the week. I don't know who did all the presets for it, but MAN he/she/they did a great job! It's kind of sad that you rarely hear anything from the guys at SonicProjects these days because they REALLY need to be creating more softsynths IMO.

Anyway....nuff said.
Thanks & God Bless,
Bro. Charles
Reviewer's Revival Blogsite | Facebook

How does it compare to OBXD?

Return to “Instruments”