Madrona Labs New Instrument "Kaivo"

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Kaivo

Well... I posted it because I am seeing a lot of volume issues on various forums discussing Kaivo. I made a video of what it sounds like to me... Don't know if i am allowed to post links yet, but I will try. It does get a little up there, but I have no problems with volume. Anyway I just have this theory that people's DAW's are reading this software all different. Because I read comments of folks saying presets are bad or too loud.. and I have no issues. CPU is only problem.

So a simple video on my FB page for those who wish to compare the preset above... that is if you care... otherwise... (yes as seen in video I am using old garageband... works great with Kaivo)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=22 ... =2&theater

on my pc / CPU:
around 20-30% in Reaper
around 60% in Renoise ...

I get the same result in audiomulch or ableton live 9. One channel is constantly hitting 0 db at around 110hz. If you load a spectrum analyzer you'll see what happens. Take the limiter off for a surprise.

But anyway just looking at your vid and when you paste it, I can hear the bass hitting at the beginning. It's exactly the same here. I mean if somebody who has this hooked up on a p.a., they might have a surprise when pasting this. Just saying, wasn't a bad critic or something of your preset.

I noticed something though in your preset, both resonator and the body's wet level are at 0, that means they aren't making any sound at all until your turn them up.

ShawnLeonhardt wrote:Well... I posted it because I am seeing a lot of volume issues on various forums discussing Kaivo. I made a video of what it sounds like to me... Don't know if i am allowed to post links yet, but I will try. It does get a little up there, but I have no problems with volume. Anyway I just have this theory that people's DAW's are reading this software all different. Because I read comments of folks saying presets are bad or too loud.. and I have no issues. CPU is only problem.

So a simple video on my FB page for those who wish to compare the preset above... that is if you care... otherwise... (yes as seen in video I am using old garageband... works great with Kaivo)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=22 ... =2&theater
Stuck in Aperture Laboratories for a 2nd time!

I wish it was for Windows XP too.... Or wish there was a way to get the Windows 7/8 version to work on XP

pusha:
it works on xp !
( it could give you a red layered message about SSE3 but it works just fine !!!)

i use it on win xp (sp3) !
( even i have sse3, i have the message with no SSE but i could ignore that - it's no fatal message )

Kaivo gets a 9/10 review in Computer Music's May 2014 issue. It gets the Innovation and Peformance awards :)

Their conclusion in short: "A powerful semimodular synth that successfully merges granular sample playback with physical modeling"

Numanoid wrote:Kaivo gets a 9/10 review in Computer Music's May 2014 issue. It gets the Innovation and Peformance awards :)

Their conclusion in short: "A powerful semimodular synth that successfully merges granular sample playback with physical modeling"
any link ?

Krakatau wrote:
Numanoid wrote:Kaivo gets a 9/10 review in Computer Music's May 2014 issue. It gets the Innovation and Peformance awards :)

any link ?
You need to have the issue, which is "payware". I subscribe to it.

It can be bought online at Zinio, or at the newsagent, looks like this, May 2014 (issue 204):

I find Kaivo fascinating. I get really different and bizarre sounds out of it. Has this surreal mixed with real instrument quality. Being able to scan between different channels in a multi channel file while at the same time changing Grain size and physical timbre is freaky.

Numanoid wrote:
Krakatau wrote:

any link ?
You need to have the issue, which is "payware". I subscribe to it.

It can be bought online at Zinio, or at the newsagent, looks like this, May 2014 (issue 204):

:dog:

Krakatau wrote: :dog:
Not sure why I get the dog. I am not affiliated with CM in any way, so I do not earn any money for putting up info about the mag.

I the dev checks the thread, I would think that they would be interested to know that their product gets a good review in a professional music magazine.

And I also gave the thread a free bump, it had lied dormant since March 11, not bad eh :D

Numanoid wrote:
Krakatau wrote: :dog:
Not sure why I get the dog. I am not affiliated with CM in any way, so I do not earn any money for putting up info about the mag.

I the dev checks the thread, I would think that they would be interested to know that their product gets a good review in a professional music magazine.

And I also gave the thread a free bump, it had lied dormant since March 11, not bad eh :D
i'm just a terribly absent-minded person

:oops:

- please don't spread the word !!!!!

Just downloaded the demo to check out today.
Seems interesting enough in theory.

Randy Jones started out learning his skill on Commdore Vic 20

No wonder why their products are so good :D :love:

Hi all, the SSE3 issue with Windows XP should be fixed in the new 1.1 version. Along with many other things:
  • over 50 new factory patches
    optimized DSP code (10-20% improvement)
    made demo reminder noise much quieter
    added a new audio import dialog
    trimmed and optimized source samples
    fixed a compatibility problem with Soundplane
    improved model sonics in high frequencies
    improved resonator tuning
    increased range of resonator damping parameter
    improved legibility of scope dials
    fixed a problem saving the window location
    fixed glitches in xy scope display