Logic, it had to happen one day I guess

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Logic Pro

You will always be around my old friend, but I don't enjoy creating music with you anymore.

I can't really pinpoint what it is that made Logic lose its mojo for me. I just noticed one day that I don't get anything done in it anymore. There's always something stopping me in my tracks and that's a killer when you have as little time to make music as I do.

I gave Studio One a second chance and this time it's going to stick.
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

it's really that different (wokflow etc.) you would have when switching from logic to S1? i understand if someone change from Logic to let's say FL Studio or Reason or be it Ableton but S1? Maybe you are so kind and explain what's the difference for you or is it at the end only the GUI?
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

murnau wrote:it's really that different (wokflow etc.) you would have when switching from logic to S1? i understand if someone change from Logic to let's say FL Studio or Reason or be it Ableton but S1? Maybe you are so kind and explain what's the difference for you or is it at the end only the GUI?
It's just the little things that speed things up, and I suspect the way they programmed the UI as well. To give an example, in Logic X (this never happened in v9) I always end up accidentally selecting multiple regions or Logic didn't register my last click on a single region. So almost every time I end up moving more regions than intended. Often I don't even notice until I scroll up and notice that a bunch of tracks have moved. I suspect Mavericks is to blame here as well.

But there a many other things that make a difference, such as drag and drop, but I also prefer the to-the-point midi actions of S1 and the scale lock. Almost everything is always just that bit faster in S1 and I don't spend half my time correcting unexpected errors.

Studio One did my head in with weird mixer behaviour of tracks, lack of proper MIDI track duplicate and other things. Logic isn't perfect but much more intuitive than S1 for me. Luckily S1 can be resold.

Unfortunately, Logic is one of the best MIDI hosts on the market. I think the only host that comes close to it (maybe even surpasses it here and there), is Cubase (there, said it!).

Though I am(!) waiting for S1 v3, to see what the future might bring (don't like the mixer either) - I want to give this host another chance. Also MIDI wise, FL Studio is catching up, and on it's way to Mac as well.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Wow I must admit I am surprised! Have you done any heavy projects in s1 yet mate? You might end up kicking yourself RE the performance and how hard it is to maintain a non vertigo position when the GUI is cluttered with heals of stuff.. It gets very hard to distinguish and look at things (IMO). Anyway, I still often use logic 9. Just cause x is there, doesn't mean it has to be used.. 9 was and is a near perfect host. But of course best of luck with your decision and I do hope whatever was bothering you with logic is a thing of the past with S1. Happy trails :)

(Oh and I gotta say, I'm at least relieved to see this topic isn't about dumping logic for bitwig, LOL! I might have smacked you for that! Hehe).

Reaper

I'm not surprised about the feeling regarding Logic, but I'm surprised that you preferred S1. But I only used Logic 9 lately, so I don't know how I would feel with Logic X.

I do love Logic 9. It is a great DAW, but I'm in Windows now and will have a windows desktop soon also. This is one reason I don't use Logic. The second reason is I felt like the OP somehow. I couldn't feel comfortable with the traditional way anymore. It is just I feel tired from the same way of thinking for so many years! I needed something new that can refresh my mind. Something makes me feel free from the past burdens.

Anyway, I think I found my way now and enjoying it. Reason + Live (intro). Mainly Reason, but if I need something like Massive, Razor or Monark, I just rewire to Live. I like the Midi composing in both.
I keep also Sonar as a third one mainly because it doesn't have a PDC problem (I think :-o ), so rewiring Live and Reason into it, would solve the PDC problem ( I read it is the ReWire Master responsibility to handle the latency, not the slave).

If I were with a Mac, I would keep Logic (instead of Sonar), but stay the same with Reason and Live as my main music tools :-)

Same for me... Dropped Ableton for Logic. Then dumped Logic for S1.

They all do the same thing, but I won't be switching from S1.
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

TheoM wrote:Wow I must admit I am surprised! Have you done any heavy projects in s1 yet mate? You might end up kicking yourself RE the performance and how hard it is to maintain a non vertigo position when the GUI is cluttered with heals of stuff.. It gets very hard to distinguish and look at things (IMO). Anyway, I still often use logic 9. Just cause x is there, doesn't mean it has to be used.. 9 was and is a near perfect host. But of course best of luck with your decision and I do hope whatever was bothering you with logic is a thing of the past with S1. Happy trails :)

(Oh and I gotta say, I'm at least relieved to see this topic isn't about dumping logic for bitwig, LOL! I might have smacked you for that! Hehe).
I never really get to do heavy lifting. My tracks are relatively simple and very often consist of blocks/tracks done in other software like Reason or Renoise. At the moment, I'm mostly amazed by how little S1 gets in my way.

And obviously, Logic X will always be there as it can't be sold, and I wouldn't want to either. So if any deal breakers would pop up one day, I can work around them as I don't mind splitting tasks as it were. I just want to be able to work uninterrupted while being creative. And that has been the problem for me in Logic X. It might be related to computer power (or lack thereof) or mavericks (or both), I don't really care. It doesn't seem to happen in S1, or Reaper for that matter. It didn't happen in Logic 9 either. They just f**ked it up in Logic X (and Mavericks) for lower powered machines what I am concerned. I'm talking a 2.5Ghz i5 machine that is now apparently too slow to run this stuff pleasantly. So for now, I'm out.

I'm also thinking about moving from Logic - but only because I want to move away from Mac hardware.

I also tried S1 and loved the way it handled adding new instruments, selecting parameters for automation,and creating FX sends, but I had issues using SoundToys plugins in S1. I would get big CPU spikes and audio dropouts - and given how much I used SoundToys it quickly got annoying.

I'm demoing Cubase now and it is although harder for me to wrap my head around I'm liking what I'm seeing so far.

coskivst wrote:I'm also thinking about moving from Logic - but only because I want to move away from Mac hardware.

I also tried S1 and loved the way it handled adding new instruments, selecting parameters for automation,and creating FX sends, but I had issues using SoundToys plugins in S1. I would get big CPU spikes and audio dropouts - and given how much I used SoundToys it quickly got annoying.
That's weird, as my ST plugins are working fine. But I did have some issues when I first upgraded to Mavericks. But they are solid now... Hmm.
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Er, I still haven't upgraded to X from V9… Still looking at upgrading Live from Intro, and or Logic X. I decided I "could" use Live in Arrange mode like a linear sequencer and keep the session window open in front and test clips and drag to the arrange, which is kind of cool. Never really thought of that… But Logic X IS a really good deal if I can start using it like V9. If… If I got it and I couldn't figure anything out then I'd be a little pissed. I might move on. Life is change…

I got rid of my old Blackberry, which I loved. But I gotta say, I'm in awe of this new Android phone. Geez where was I before… Ha!

8)

It always befuddles me that because someone decides to switch DAW's there will always be detractors chiming in as to why they make a choice of Studio One(or anything else for that matter), get off of it, its out there and it works(for some of us).

Just because it don't work for you(the detractors) doesn't mean it isn't a viable solution for someone else and the reasons why you may not like it(once again you detractors) may not be a problem for others or in some cases could be a plus. It's great to pass along info that could be vital but sometimes it may unnecessary but go on it's a free forum.

This is KVR so it's wide open for interpretation as far as a subject like this but to the OP, I'm glad you found a DAW that works for ya. :tu:

CTStump wrote:It always befuddles me that because someone decides to switch DAW's there will always be detractors chiming in as to why they make a choice of Studio One(or anything else for that matter), get off of it, its out there and it works(for some of us).

Just because it don't work for you(the detractors) doesn't mean it isn't a viable solution for someone else and the reasons why you may not like it(once again you detractors) may not be a problem for others or in some cases could be a plus. It's great to pass along info that could be vital but sometimes it may unnecessary but go on it's a free forum.

This is KVR so it's wide open for interpretation as far as a subject like this but to the OP, I'm glad you found a DAW that works for ya. :tu:
Um... Yeah, but surely the OP would like to open a discussion about the changeover. Otherwise they'd say nout'.

So +1 for all us 'evil' detractors. :tu:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”