I just started producing EDM.

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

My name is Chris Hubbard. I just started producing EDM. I would like to hear any tips you have on making my music better. I can make melodies all day. I'm learning how to build different genres with those melodies. Here's a sample song. Have more if you check out my soundcloud profile. Thx for listening :tu:

https://soundcloud.com/chubby-checka/chubby

I think narrowing the question down to some specifics might help you get more advice.
Other than that, practice and read/watch alot of tutorials/fora.
Win8.1 64x/Live 9/Steinberg UR44/Roland HP 235/Edirol PCR-800/Eastman AC222/Washburn D12/Ch. Les Paul/Behringer BCF2000 & BCR2000/Korg Nanopad 2/Focusrite VRM Box/AT 2020/2xB5/E825s/Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250/Tannoy 502

I really like it, especially when it gets going.

I was thinking an ssl on the master with maybe a LA would sound cool.

more compression on the master and I think it will bring it altogether.

Really dig it, thanks.
Ableton Live 8 Suite 64 Bit, Sylenth1 64 Bit,Rapture, Zeta+2,Synthmaster, Dimenison Pro, Mo' Phatt. and Waves plugs.
DELL i-3770 3.9ghz, 12GB RAM, INTEL SSD,
M-Audio Bx8 D2
Oxygen 49
TC ELECTRONIC impact twin 64 Bit
Fast Track Plus
Grace and love

hey, im back, once again I really like the song. If mastered and compressed. I could see it playing on AM/FM trance radio. on shoutcast. give it a shot. maybe you could take donations. don't hold me to it, but it might be wise to seek advice. probably should. :) cheers.

PS EDIT.

Another tip would be to soften up the leads in the beginging, its kinda hissy, it might be symbolic, but to a listening ear it really is hard to deal with quite in that way too.
Ableton Live 8 Suite 64 Bit, Sylenth1 64 Bit,Rapture, Zeta+2,Synthmaster, Dimenison Pro, Mo' Phatt. and Waves plugs.
DELL i-3770 3.9ghz, 12GB RAM, INTEL SSD,
M-Audio Bx8 D2
Oxygen 49
TC ELECTRONIC impact twin 64 Bit
Fast Track Plus
Grace and love

Spiritos wrote:I think narrowing the question down to some specifics might help you get more advice.
yeah...asking "how do i make my music better" isnt specific enough. are you asking about composition? structure? mixing/mastering?

what about it do you think needs to be "better"? are you satisfied with the results you obtained? if not...why?
ImageImageImage

chaosWyrM wrote:
Spiritos wrote:I think narrowing the question down to some specifics might help you get more advice.
yeah...asking "how do i make my music better" isnt specific enough. are you asking about composition? structure? mixing/mastering?

what about it do you think needs to be "better"? are you satisfied with the results you obtained? if not...why?
uhm, like the OP hasn't posted since starting this topic on Feb 4. :shrug:

So this was just a ploy to get us to listen to his generic, badly mixed EDM? No way! :O

More mastering and compression is not going to save this track, the supersaws are way too loud, the kick is suffocating under a sea of hissy frequencies, there are no points of interest, I randomly have to turn the volume down 30 seconds into the track, there's no groove, and the hook is too repetetive, even by middle-of-the-road EDM standards, and sounds like something I was playing on my Casio keyboard when I was 10.

Sure, I don't *like* much in the way of EDM, but I'm objective enough to know that it still takes skill to mix a track to have maximum impact, something that popular EDM producers are pretty good at usually. This just doesn't have that, and there's nothing else redeeming about it. If it came on a web radio channel, I'd give it 3 minutes and at that point change to a different station.

Apart from that, loved it :hyper:
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

^
It might not be PC and may b*tt hurt some but at least he's being honest and giving reasons for his opinion.
I could use that kinda criticism for my only (so far) SoundCloud track that I'm working on. :wink:

Too much criticism here, what I suggest for posts like these is a warm smile and sincere constructive criticism, and encouragement to keep going! So keep going lad! Continue to work and you will see your tracks improve.

Sendy's review is funny (isn't she a female?).
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

JackQuade wrote:Too much criticism here, what I suggest for posts like these is a warm smile and sincere constructive criticism, and encouragement to keep going! So keep going lad! Continue to work and you will see your tracks improve.
You won't be able to wear your feelings on your shirt sleeve at KVR JackQuade. Not that kind of crowd.

These people pretty much tell it like it is here. Some a bit more aggressively than others of course ;)

If one asks, one should expect honesty in response.

With that said, you are correct that constructive criticism is best to encourage new comers to stay at it.

BTW - Welcome to KVR! :)

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

Could you please stop producing and start songwriting an extraordinary tune instead? :x :lol:

You just had to prove my point didn't you Tricky? :lol:

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

dsan@mail.com wrote:You just had to prove my point didn't you Tricky? :lol:

Happy Musiking!
dsan
I was about to write a much more aggressive comment but then I took the most diplomatic one... :wink:

After 5 minutes of listening to it, I forgot to what I've listened because there isn't anything to remember... :shrug:

dsan@mail.com wrote:These people pretty much tell it like it is here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXy93iEe2co

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”