Kygo pluck lead sound

How to make that sound...
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi! Ive been trying for a couple of hours to get a similar sound to Kygo's "signature" lead sound. Cant figure out if he is using a sample or if this can be made in sylenth or massive. You can here it in almost all of his songs but here is an example

https://soundcloud.com/kygo/marvin-gaye-sexual-healing

Thanks for the help or tips.
MacBook Pro 2012 2,5 GHz Intel Core i5, 4 GB 1600 MHz. Ableton Live

hahahhahahah kyrre!!!!!, i can ask him for ya if you want... happy to see a thread about him on here though :)

Try using a a volume envelope and a filter envelope on square wave. This sound is so simple to make.
if this can be made in sylenth or massive.
It can be made it any synth! Like pick any soft synth.

I love how so many ppl use massive when they don't understand how to use the simplest subtractive synth features. Not implying anything about you, but just in general.

EDIT: I can give you a TyrellN6 patch for this sound.

altego91 wrote:hahahhahahah kyrre!!!!!, i can ask him for ya if you want... happy to see a thread about him on here though :)
Haha sure! He is gonna blow up soon!
Ap0C552 wrote:It can be made it any synth! Like pick any soft synth.
Yeah i figured, but it's the ones ive worked with most and know best so i named those.

I think i have come pretty close with just a square wave, TriSaw and filter envelope, but it's the punch and richness that i cant get right. Volume envelope is a good idea for the punch.
Ap0C552 wrote:EDIT: I can give you a TyrellN6 patch for this sound.
That would be great :)

I think i have come pretty close with just a square wave, TriSaw and filter envelope, but it's the punch and richness that i cant get right. Volume envelope is a good idea for the punch.
I like to stay away from ambiguous terms such as "richness". What does richness mean? My interpretation of what richness means could be different from yours.

Try to stick with terms that actually describe distinct characteristics of the sound.

Anyways, there is definitely post processing that makes it sound more appealing. There is a nice reverb and slight chorus on the synth, and it is in a nice mix. So it is hard to perceive the sound separate from these things.

Ap0C552 wrote:
I like to stay away from ambiguous terms such as "richness". What does richness mean? My interpretation of what richness means could be different from yours.

Try to stick with terms that actually describe distinct characteristics of the sound.

Anyways, there is definitely post processing that makes it sound more appealing. There is a nice reverb and slight chorus on the synth, and it is in a nice mix. So it is hard to perceive the sound separate from these things.
Richness = Rich in harmonics, imo

I think that it is some kind of organ/space organ with reeverb, chorus etc

The sound is amazing and Kygo's prod is outstanding

rebar wrote:I think that it is some kind of organ/space organ with reeverb, chorus etc

The sound is amazing and Kygo's prod is outstanding
Absolutely, his mixes are really powerfull and clean!

Could you explain how to make this sound in Massive for someone who's not very familiar with massive? Or does someone know where I can find a similar sound?

:wink: Count me in for the patch ! that would be really nice of you !!! ...even if i prefer his sound on Firestone !

Anybody have any update on this?!

Im having that sort of "glassy" feel to my plucks

Hey guys- I managed to make the kygo sound on massive: lower the intensity to 7 o'clock ; set the feedback at around 1-2 o'clock: just before it sounds bad; set a small reverb and a reverb and switch on the EQ; put the boost to maximum and set the frequency to around below 9 o'clock

Sometimes I like to think of myself as above these hand-holding types of patch tutorials. Then I see that Massive video and, as a recent Massive owner, realize I have no idea what the double notch filter sounds like. That was cool.

Okay, so it's a basic square pluck layered with a panflute. That's cool. :phones:

Return to “Sound Design”