Synths you would like to have made a Kontakt instrument of

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I don't think I have seen any library for Kontakt for these synths, would be nice to have them sampled:

Studio Electronics Omega8 and SE-1
Jomox Sunsyn
Quasimidi Sirius
Ensoniq Fizmo

Other suggestions?
Last edited by Numanoid on Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MT-32

I nearly picked one up for cheap the other day, but realized I'd rather get a similar sound ITB than faff around plugging and unplugging cables and wotnot.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Some of Hideaway Studios libraries contain Omega 8 samples amongst their soundsources.
Sendy wrote:MT-32

I nearly picked one up for cheap the other day, but realized I'd rather get a similar sound ITB than faff around plugging and unplugging cables and wotnot.
Probably won't happen because samples that are part of it are copyrighted by Roland, just like in D-50.

That's the synth you would dream about a Kontakt lib for :o That's like a General Midi module, there's lots of such soundware around already, like Omnisynth for SampleTank for example.

ETI 4600? Maplin 5600?
Music can no longer soothe the worried thoughts of monarchs; it can only tell you when it's time to buy margarine or copulate. -xoxos
Discontinue use if rash or irritation develops.

Emulator libraries.

All of them.

Copyright be damned.

ccDuckett wrote:ETI 4600? Maplin 5600?
Yeah, those would be cool :tu:

This is a good idea if we think about the actual request. Sendy is asking for a similar sound, not a blatant copy, and, the MT32 is budget LA synthesis so much of the character comes from how you build the sounds. This is a big enough project that doing it right would take some effort because you'd want to try to nail the architecture. As a first draft try to find as many free samples that come close and then study what's different. You may simply have lo-fi some of the free samples by stretching out the multisamples further, rolling off the release, etc. The simple filters are well within the capability of Kontakt so this is a good fit.

I think getting the architecture right and using free samples will get you a more faithful and usable ITB variant of a lo-fi LA synthesizer than if you just multisampled the presets for yourself. Go the extra mile to try and nail the cheesy reverb and DAC output distortion issues, and you're there!
Last edited by ghettosynth on Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ghettosynth wrote:This is a good idea if we think about the actual request. Sendy is asking for a similar sound, not a blatant copy, and, the MT32 is budget LA synthesis
Buy the JD-850 lib that CL-Projects just put out then :dog:

Numanoid wrote:
ccDuckett wrote:ETI 4600? Maplin 5600?
Yeah, those would be cool :tu:

I used to have that.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Numanoid wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:This is a good idea if we think about the actual request. Sendy is asking for a similar sound, not a blatant copy, and, the MT32 is budget LA synthesis
Totally not the same thing at all.

EvilDragon wrote:
Numanoid wrote:
Totally not the same thing at all.
Did you see: "...is asking for a similar sound" ?

I believe both MT32 and JD-800 got a common link in LA synthesis.

JD-800 isn't LA synthesis, as it doesn't have VA generated waveforms.

Numanoid wrote:
Well then, perhaps that's a good recommendation for Sendy, I don't know. If it were MY request, I would have spent some time looking, as I have absolutely zero need for an MT-32, I don't know about the JD-850 lib. It's certainly not as obvious as your :dog: would suggest.

So, taking a quick look at the JD-850, I think that you're way off base. The JD-850 is not "lofi" LA synthesis. It is a ostensibly reasonable clone of the JD-800, a synth that I still own. I don't know how good the simulation is; off the cuff, they seem to have used AHDSR envelopes which is perhaps good enough, but perhaps not, I don't know. SInce I've also owned both the MT32 and the D110, however, I can assure you that both the engine and the effects of the first generation budget LA synths sound nothing like the the JD800. The JD-800 effects are not lo-fi AT ALL, and, in fact, are a key element in its sounds. The samples are certainly different, and that was a key element of my suggestion, to reduce the multi-sample spread of the free samples. I bet you money that the JD-850 does not do that because it is not a lofi instrument.

I can't speak for Sendy, but knowing what I know about Sendy's music, I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that the lo-fi nature of the MT-32 are part of the appeal. I'm sure that I'll be corrected if I'm wrong.

In any case, unless you know something about the JD-850 that isn't clear by their page, I don't think that you grokked the detail of what I'm talking about. The JD-800 is a rompler with knobs, not a lo-fi LA synthesis machine.
Last edited by ghettosynth on Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EvilDragon wrote:JD-800 isn't LA synthesis, as it doesn't have VA generated waveforms.
You should update the Wikipedia article then: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roland_JD-800

"The JD-800 combines sample playback with digital synthesis, a process that Roland calls Linear Arithmetic synthesis"

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”