Native Instruments DAW

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I assume the Maschine Software will be a real DAW one day, it's halfway there (ok, maybe 25% there .g.) already.

i'd be very worried about that. as it gets closer to a 'normal' DAW, people are going to expect to see more traditional DAW stuff supported, just because 'XXX does it so why not Maschine'?.
So more development time is spent supporting things that others do better anyway.

Plus, everything added has to fit in with Maschine's 'no mouse/no monitor' workflow principles, and theres things I really wouldnt like to tackle without a mouse.

Why isn't maschine a DAW?

I have not used Reaktor for a while but while I was dreaming I thought:

Make a Super-Reaktor or Super Kollider which is a Komplete DAW.
Include the best features from other DAW’s
Include the best feature requests.
Allow VST and VSTi
Include ARA
Touch screen ready.
And easy to use. :D

This will be Native instrument entry to the DAW arena and be Included Komplete 10. :lol:

Any Komments? :scared:

I think you would have to ask whether or not the current development team has this on the list of products to start programming and testing.

It's likely that all the developers have looked at the DAW as a possible route to take for the company's they are part of, and may even have them in a bucket list but you have to ask who's doing it better, different etc, and look at markets to rein the ideas in.

Izotope are looking for lots of people at the moment, meaning they wish to stay current and develop new products. I would rather speculate about new 'Hardware/Software' hybrids from them than new DAW's

After all Bitwig has just been released and I'm sure the entire software business is looking to see how they do in the current climate before anything else.

With this in mind collaboration seems to be the way to go, to preserve all aspects of the business, Bitwigs promise of nested presets and a native modular programming environment makes for titillating reading if you like building patches and packs, I gather they have already made friends with 'Nektar' I do wonder if NI could build a relationship with Ableton, but It's more likely to choose Pro Tools somehow.

Anyway you get the picture, most likely that it would be extending the capacity of an existing product and a collaborative than a full blown new product with risk.

Proxima4 wrote:I think you would have to ask whether or not the current development team has this on the list of products to start programming and testing.

It's likely that all the developers have looked at the DAW as a possible route to take for the company's they are part of, and may even have them in a bucket list but you have to ask who's doing it better, different etc, and look at markets to rein the ideas in.

Izotope are looking for lots of people at the moment, meaning they wish to stay current and develop new products. I would rather speculate about new 'Hardware/Software' hybrids from them than new DAW's

After all Bitwig has just been released and I'm sure the entire software business is looking to see how they do in the current climate before anything else.

With this in mind collaboration seems to be the way to go, to preserve all aspects of the business, Bitwigs promise of nested presets and a native modular programming environment makes for titillating reading if you like building patches and packs, I gather they have already made friends with 'Nektar' I do wonder if NI could build a relationship with Ableton, but It's more likely to choose Pro Tools somehow.

Anyway you get the picture, most likely that it would be extending the capacity of an existing product and a collaborative than a full blown new product with risk.
Did you have to wake me up?

Reputable and creative companies like Native Instruments, Sprectasonics and Izotope to name a few and there are only a few others are capable of making a DAW that better than anything existing. I look at their past record of excellence and capabilities and leads me to ... nevermind, I am going to dream some more.

Ableton coming out with Push seemed like a direct dig at NI. If sells of Maschine suffer NI may have to play the daw card. Who knows...

Kalamata Kid wrote:I have not used Reaktor for a while but while I was dreaming I thought:

Deep integration of Reaktor into Maschine would be amazing. Unfortunately, the Maschine team is completely separate from the Komplete team and I can't imagine this happening with their current infrastructure.

Anyway, as Kalamata Kid said, we've got Bitwig now and it will be fully modular soon. I'm loving it and its 150mb installation file. :)

There are a number of DAW authors that they could offer
to partner with, to mutual advantage. A bag of cash,
a booth at the messe, holiday parties, a support staff,
I think would be attractive to someone who has put in years
creating useful software, in relative anonymity.

I can see NI transitioning to a Komplete Kloud subscription service just as Adobe has done with their Creative Suite. Only then would they offer a cloud-based DAW (like Ohm Studio) called Kollaboration. "Pro" and "Prosumer" users were the bane of Adobe -- they have no problem running 2 or 3 versions behind -- which equals thousands in lost income per user. Going to the cloud is the way to force people to pay for development. After a point there will be an attrition of those upgrading every 18 months to Ultimate Mega Komplete. At that point they will switch to cloud-only.

Very doubtful, they have already started down soft/hard combo path, which does not translate as well to CC as sat at a desk design apps ;)
Duh

glokraw wrote:There are a number of DAW authors that they could offer
to partner with, to mutual advantage. A bag of cash,
a booth at the messe, holiday parties, a support staff,
I think would be attractive to someone who has put in years
creating useful software, in relative anonymity.
I think S1 would be a nice fit.
D Scarlatti, Dell XPS8700 i7/8gb mem/1tb hd/Steiny UR22/Presonus ER5s/Nektar LX61 kbd ctrlr/Win 10 Pro/S1 4.6/ my music here: https://www.magix.info/us/profile/my-profile/media/

gone
Last edited by jacqueslacouth on Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Uncle E wrote:
Kalamata Kid wrote:I have not used Reaktor for a while but while I was dreaming I thought:

Deep integration of Reaktor into Maschine would be amazing. Unfortunately, the Maschine team is completely separate from the Komplete team and I can't imagine this happening with their current infrastructure.

Anyway, as Kalamata Kid said, we've got Bitwig now and it will be fully modular soon. I'm loving it and its 150mb installation file. :)

Uncle E, you might know a little more behind the scenes. But in your opinion what do you see NI doing with maschine down the line and the komplete line? Me I was thinking some kind of keyboard down the line and something with the ipad for Imaschine. Also, I see audio tracks and some kind of song mode in maschine. Keir NI's moderator said that song mode would take a long time.

For Komplete I see the focus of Kontakt, Reaktor (for synths/effects), and maybe focus on mixing effects? I think maybe massive 2. I'm not sure about the rest. Guitar Rig I don't know. Seems like their trying to consolidate.

beatmangler443 wrote:Uncle E, you might know a little more behind the scenes. But in your opinion what do you see NI doing with maschine down the line and the komplete line? Me I was thinking some kind of keyboard down the line and something with the ipad for Imaschine. Also, I see audio tracks and some kind of song mode in maschine. Keir NI's moderator said that song mode would take a long time.
Honestly, with Maschine Studio and Maschine software 2.0 being so recently released, I don't see anything major happening this year. The drum synth was a nice surprise, though, and maybe that'll guide them if it becomes one of the more popular features.
For Komplete I see the focus of Kontakt, Reaktor (for synths/effects), and maybe focus on mixing effects? I think maybe massive 2. I'm not sure about the rest. Guitar Rig I don't know. Seems like their trying to consolidate.
Yeah, as far as I understand it, they're pretty much three divisions now: Maschine, Komplete, and Traktor. Guitar Rig is part of the Komplete division. It's funny because they started as Generator, split off to Reaktor and Kontakt, blew up into the awesomeness that was Komplete 5, and then seem to have been in a steady cycle of retracting and expanding ever since.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”