Finalizing songs, need guidance in space.

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've been working on my first album for a good 3 years now, and I'm nearly complete. The only thing I can't seem to grasp is a vital part, the placement of my sounds in the speakers. I'm going to post one of my songs, so you can get a feel of what I'm working with. Also, I will work on leaving feedback on your guys' tunes. So, no worries in that department.
http://soundcloud.com/ayaosa/eyawt
Last edited by Nihilis on Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Create.

What do you want to change about the music? Can you describe what you think is lacking or disturbing?

It sounds decent on cheap headphones.

Well, I've been giving myself time away from creating anything new or altering things that are there. I'm looking to be critiqued on my sound placement. I guess this is a trickier question than I first assumed. Here, I think I figured it out. I want some pointers on how to make individual synths and drums have their own place in the mix. I've down eqing so everything as their place in the frequency range, and I tried to do some things with panning. But is there anything else I could do it can you hear anything I'm the song that could use some more eqing and panning
Create.

Sounds fine to me. Not to say don't try to improve it, but I'm getting a good stereo image on my monitors. To be honest sometimes a more mono-based approach works the best sometimes anyway, so getting everything super-spatial stereo isn't always the holy grail. For example, when building up layers of rhythms, I often prefer to leave them stacked on top of eachother, rather than panning them individually. It just sometimes sounds better that way.

Really interesting music, too. It's so nice to hear something unusual and well put together.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Well, thank you! That's nice to hear I've been getting somewhere with this stuff. But, I will utilize the mono based sounds. I did read somewhere that putting everything under ~300 hrtz in the frequency spectrum. But I'm getting some ideas already. Not for this song, but have a lead that's mono and have the same thing play with a little reverb to give it some distance and throw on a phaser and a slow auto pan so it creates a stable swirling effect. Thanks, friend.
Create.

Hi there
I agree with what Sendy said and just wanted to mention
this plugin: http://bozdigitallabs.com/product/mongoose/

I use it myself and I think it does a great job. Very simple to use
but with great fx on the overall sound.

Keep up the good work :clap:

Cheers :tu:
Sound C loud
Band C amp
Clicks and pops is all I get

Thanks sbj! I took a gander at it and it seems pretty straight forward and exactly what I was looking for. I'll probably get that next time I'm in the studio.
Create.

audio LSD! great use of the glitch fx. it holds interest to the end. sounds good on headphones, but monoizing the lows will help the bottom end sound tighter. check out the freeware "sanford bass tightener" for this.
also, as Sendy said, too much stereo effect on eveything makes the mix sound "over cooked"
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

What's audio LSD? That sounds fun. Lol and thanks. I cut it up myself. And I'll give that bass tightener a gander.
Create.

Return to “Music Cafe”