New Roland "DANCE" hardware- AIRA TR-8, TB-3, VT-3, SYSTEM-1

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ghettosynth wrote:invested
Not at all. More like trying to balance some of your input, which is needlessly negative and judgmental.
can't accept criticism of the instrument
Of course the criticism can be accepted. However, your continuous criticism of the very existence of the TR8 is such that it warrants a reply and a rebuttal. If you were criticizing the lack of individual outs, or the measly amount of pattern memories, and similar, I'd agree with you. I would even agree that the scatter effect will soon become tiring as it will become overused by everyone and their grandmother. Still, for the pure 808/909 drum programming enjoyment at a reasonable price, this box is perfect. I played one, so I'm not musing for the sake of it.
strawmen
Like the one presented by yourself about TR8 being about/failing at innovation, which was never its raison d'être to begin with ?
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

ghettosynth wrote:
The TR8 is boring because, today, the TR808 and somewhat less so, the TR909, are also boring.
Yup...

pdxindy wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:
The TR8 is boring because, today, the TR808 and somewhat less so, the TR909, are also boring.
Yup...

How can a machine be boring? The person using it might create boring music, but its not the machines fault.

You could say a piano or violin is boring....

Kriminal wrote:
pdxindy wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:
Yup...

How can a machine be boring? The person using it might create boring music, but its not the machines fault.

You're making the mistake of seeing things like a musician, and not like a middle-aged white guy gear collector.

ghettosynth wrote:
himalaya wrote:
ghettosynth wrote: My claim is that the TR-8 does not do enough by today's standards to be viewed as an innovative instrument.
.. the TR8 is not hailed as an innovative instrument.
Then we agree, don't we, it's not. It's just (a model of) the past, dressed up in gaudy clothes. I don't know what you're arguing about. I don't think much of the instrument, you clearly agree with me that it's not innovative, and I've explained clearly with examples what that means, and yet you keep trying to find little holes in my argument and presenting non-sequiters and strawmen as if they somehow make sense. Do you feel personally offended because I've characterized, fairly accurately I predict, the market segment for this machine?

I simply don't understand why people get so personally invested in an instrument that they can't accept criticism of the instrument. The TR8 is a gaudy rehash of the past that will appeal to those without the means but with the desire to own the real thing. They will show up in some live events as replacements because they're cheap enough and they will be purchased by people who think that somehow, having those sounds with knobs in a box with Roland's name on it will, actually make a difference in their music.

Of course The Boring Egyptian wants one, it's all he needs for a "show." That said, how much do you want to bet that he doesn't ACTUALLY use one in a show? Do I have to spell it out for you why? I hope not, it's so obvious that I think you should be able to pick up on it. I bet money that he will continue to tour with his 808 because, without the real thing, his legitimacy goes out the window. For what he was doing, he might as well have been yelling "Doctor Muthafookin Rhythm-8 mofo 80", at least then he'd get a bassline too. He could hold up an AcidLabs Miami, but how's that going to fly when his hypeman says "Do you know what this is?", deafening silence, "um, no we don't, what is it?"
His entire schtick relies on the history of the 808, not on the music that he's "performing." His legitimacy is derived from being there then, and still doing the same thing now, with the real deal. I don't believe for a second that he's going to go out on stage with the instrument that every kid in suburbia got for christmas.

The TR8 is boring because, today, the TR808 and somewhat less so, the TR909, are also boring. The real time controls served a genuine purpose in their day, were exploited as a stylistic element of music in the past, but are of little value today. I think that people who've owned the real things, used them in actual music, and experienced their limitations because they are creating current music, have largely moved on from them as instruments, per se and I think that's been the case for more than a decade.
Man you're still going on about this. Did one of the original units fall on your dad's head and kill him or something? Or do you work for Korg and you're trying to sell more Volcas?
Why can't you just accept that there's a huge amount of love and admiration for this thing and leave it alone? If people want to spend their money on it, what is that to you? Does anyone criticize you for your choice in equipment?
I accept that they're your opinions, but this thread is devoted to a product that many people want and have wanted for years. Go start another thread to spread your hate for this thing.

dcfac73 wrote:but this thread is devoted to a product that many people want and have wanted for years. Go start another thread to spread your hate for this thing.
Sorry bro, it doesn't work that way. The topic is the new Roland Dance Hardware,and that's exactly what we're talking about. Either you want the new hardware, or you don't, it certainly doesn't have any impact on me what others think about things that I want, unless, of course, I actually care about their opinions.

Bottom line, either you care about my opinion, or you don't, but you don't get to censor it.

wald wrote:
Kriminal wrote:
pdxindy wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:
Yup...

You're making the mistake of seeing things like a musician, and not like a middle-aged white guy gear collector.
:hihi:

Kriminal wrote:
pdxindy wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:
Yup...

Why don't you tell us?
Kriminal wrote:
david.beholder wrote:Image

From sonic state via gs

Boring :zzz:
Last edited by ghettosynth on Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:48 am, edited 5 times in total.

I'm sorry Krim, I love ya but you've been powned :D
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

:lol:
... space is the place ...

:hihi:
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

All those machines are plastic toys in term of sound, they just sound plastic, while korg tries to make it analog, Roland tries to mesmerize plastic generation with analog odor.
Nothing playable about them either. Just a f99999ing crap.
TB-3 sounds the most plastic of them all, just like any 303 plugin.

Let me guess, some producer swears by it? That producer is a moron and if he has ever been someone, he reached his sunset a long time ago, while others know when their sunset is over, some don't, so while others crawl to a cave and die, some keep on pushing it and end up looking like these two, in that case, no talent, nor many can help them anymore, they words aren't worth a sh(t.
Thread is over, lol I'm good at it, hahahahha
Soundbanks for Serum, Bazille, Diva, lush-101, Zebra2, Monark... Here

That one skewering post almost made up for all the pages and pages of pompous rantings.

Tou-f**king-che, Ghettosynth!

tl;dr dude is still bored with 808, and you should be too. and he will spend inordinate amounts of energy trying to wedge a subjective peg through an objective hole. instead of making music.

damoog wrote:I just can't get my head around your negative attitude to the TR8
he's bored with the 808...ergo he's not impressed with the tr-8. He's also a genius accountant, and business strategist... if only Roland would hire him they wouldn't be losing the opportunity to make millions and millions of dollars! He's got great ideas they'd never have considered! :lol:
pdxindy wrote:everyone in the audience looked unengaged
Evidently you haven't seen a boiler room set before :hihi:
captain neckbeard wrote:But that's not the important part of my post, and you know it. I'm not going to go down a rabbit hole with you while you look for pedantic points to take issue with.
lol. irony or hypocrisy...or maybe just projection. hmmm! calling freud, come in freud...
wald wrote:You're making the mistake of seeing things like a musician, and not like a middle-aged white neckbearded basement dwelling gear collector.
:tu:

ghettosynth wrote:
himalaya wrote:Oh gosh, you are yet another master of obfuscation. :D
Now you bring reliability into this. Why? Nobody ( but you) mentioned this. It's not even an issue. It's not about reliability but the extra cost and space and set up hassle.
You're grasping for straws looking for an argument. You can't have it both ways, either a drum machine is all that you need and then we can compare $500 of investment to something else, or, it's only part of a show, and then it makes sense to consider the cost of the all of the performance gear and not just the drum machine.

I think that I have resoundingly made the case that nobody is going to pay any attention to your retro 808/909 only masterpiece. Therefore, it's reasonable to assume that when considering that instrument as part of a live performance, or studio, that there is other gear involved and to ask what's that gear?

So, I'll repeat so that it's nice and clear for you and you don't get all confused thinking that I'm talking about something else. To the argument that "the TR-8 is the closest thing to manipulating an 808 today", I disagree, I think the Arturia Spark provides as much variation and a lot more interest. Since you're going to need a computer for that, you can just use that computer for whatever other sound generation your show/studio needs. It will cost less than, for example, the System-1. Wait for it now, because here's the rest of the point. If you don't want to be distracted by the computer, you can put it in a little case and sit the arturia on top. I'm not saying that you have to do it, I'm saying that it's not a particularly insurmountable problem. Further, I'm saying that any argument that this is somehow less reliable, which I think was made even in this thread, but certainly it's been made before, is simply outdated.

This is simply addressing the current vibe that people want to be engaged in an instrument, not their computers, I get that. That's what maschine address, that's what push addresses. We don't have to go back to underpowered single purpose computers to get that.
Which brings me neatly back to TR-8, a lovely, easy to use, easy to set up, and easy to transport stand-alone drum machine.
As I said, you can't have it both ways. You're envisioning some silly fantasy where you tuck your TR-8 into your messenger bag and run off for the gig where you pop it on the table and rock the house. Watch Arturia's stupid ad for the Spark to get the full picture. At least Spark stands a chance of getting you there, you won't look like a dumbass to compensate for your lame performance by yelling "T-R-muthafucking-8" into the microphone.

Any music setup involving the TR8 will either be "lame like an Egyptian (tm)", or will require you to carry something else at least as large, or larger. My argument is rock solid, you are much better off with a Spark and a lightweight laptop, or, if you don't want to look like you're checking your mail, you can stuff your laptop or micro-pc into a little box that you can put your spark on.

That's the essence of it mate, I can't make it any simpler than that.
Very good points. I think this is why I've always been somewhat interested in "playing the drum machine" as an instrument and yet mostly avoided it. I even once did a DJ set where I used Live and loops (that I made myself) synced to a drum machine and... I didn't find it that fun and I think it translated to the audience. Of course at that time there was no such thing as the Maschine or Spark and that could have helped.

I've long decided to not gig, but if I did there's no doubt in my mind I'd bring a laptop, midi controller, guitar not much else. Aside from the guitar it would all fit in a back pack and I'd have near complete confidence in it. If I failed to do a good performance it would be my fault, not the laptop's.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”