drum machine/music box automaton for Kontakt 4

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

MRT wrote:out of curiosity loaded another instance of Kontakt with Solid State Symphony and let PDrumma drive that.
:o :dog: I must confess, that I didn't think about it at all, I was pondering how could I feed generated midi notes to other instrument slots and I completely ignored possibility that Kontakt can send script generated midi notes to other instruments. This is great. Now the problem is that this music box module tunes the samples, and not notes, so constrain to scale does not work on outside level, each pad just generates one note, you change it's 'sound' it will output different note. But now I realized the power of sending midi outside... I can made a 'midi mode' switch, the idea is that each pad will generate notes according to scale pattern, now if I could find a way to assign midi channel to script generated notes, I'm not sure if this is possible. Must investigate. :hyper:
MRT wrote:This is the result..... :)
Yeah, instant Hollywood big screen drama, with a spoonful of psychedelic. Way cool.

I dont have any help for you about outputting midi. But a few observations that may or may not be food for thought.
First there are a million ways to manipulate midi data once its captured, so it may not be worth your efforts to persue controlling the output?
Having said that would it be possible to channelize the output, all generated notes C0-C3 output to channel 1 notes C#3-C8 go to channel 2?
Kontakt outputs midi based on the channel the loaded instrument is set on. If the instrument is set on omni would it be possible to assign a midi channel to each sequencer in PD?

Regardless of how all this works out there should be some comfort in the fact that you have scripted the most elaborate step sequencer I,ve ever seen in Kontakt. :D

MRT wrote:Kontakt outputs midi based on the channel the loaded instrument is set on. If the instrument is set on omni would it be possible to assign a midi channel to each sequencer in PD?
Interesting, I didn't know that. However manipulating output channel in Kontakt seems not possible at all from instrument level. When set to omni, it's transmitting data on channel 1. You can assign different midi input channels to different groups, but this does not affect the output. Anyway, it's a problem not worth cracking. When I looked at it from different perspective, having 9 pads in disposition, is like having a pianist with only one finger cut off...

Playing a single instrument is fascinating enough. I made a quick test for a very simple output mod. Here's the result, Psychodrumma playing piano, while being constrained to a scale, in algo-random cycle mode.
http://www.fairlyconfusing.net/docs/piano_test.mp3

Ok heres a quick capture of PD driving 3 instances of Blue Arp to bass,Drums and Piano :) Psycho Jazz
No mix- no effects- limiter on the output- one punch of randomize all

Funny but this is kind of addictive.

So the piano test? would you get the same result with a bank of piano samples?

Wonderful, psycho jazz piece is haunting, instant modern experimental jazz ensemble... :love:

Talking about addictive, here's second, longer solo piano test, randomizer was set to shuffle everything every 4 bars, in algo mode:
http://www.fairlyconfusing.net/docs/piano_test2.mp3

MRT wrote:So the piano test? would you get the same result with a bank of piano samples?
I'm not sure I understand the question. These piano tests were made by feeding one Kontakt instance PD output to another instance with one of Kontakt's factory pianos, I was testing sequencer mod routine I just made, where instead of tuning the samples, actual note properties are changed, so 'constrain to pattern' works for outside instruments.

My thought was: If you had a bank of piano samples and only the seq and the sample select randomized. You might get somthing similar?

postcard from the front, maybe it can explain what I had in mind:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeUSrJ_gWWU

I have here drum machine sequencer generating midi notes, then they are rerouted from channel 1 to channel 2 and sent back to Kontakt to drive one of factory pianos. At about 3:00, the machine generates quite nice hook out of the blue, and then gets somewhat shy...
My next ideas are to use it to transform incoming notes to melody, so I could just bang on the keyboard rhythmically and let it invent a tune, or feed some midi drum loops into it. Then I'm thinking, it could generate CC messages from auto-motorized effect rack knobs, so I could control some external synthesizer settings with it. Makes me dizzy.

nice vid.. and you are right the possibilities are already dizzying. Looks like you've already moved PD on past the last beta, looks great.
I do have one question about the video. Did you send the midi outside of Kontakt and then back?
One thing I'd like to be able to do is load one instance of Kontakt with two or more instruments and route the midi out of Inst.1 to inst.2.

MRT wrote:Looks like you've already moved PD on past the last beta
Yes, this time for real I will want to start closing this, just a couple of more confusing controls, and I will need to make a huge update to manual. I will also have to fix a problem with midi notes being send out of Kontakt. When you change a note via script, it will pass changed 'note on' message, but then on release will send 'note off' message for the previous note value. The result is notes hanging forever on the receiving instrument. The only workaround I could come up with, is generating a very short note, on release, crude, but I have no better ideas. If you'd like to try it out as it is now, I'll PM you a link.
MRT wrote:I do have one question about the video. Did you send the midi outside of Kontakt and then back?
That's right, I was using LoopBe1 midi loopback driver, then I routed it from ch.1 to ch.2 on midi input in Sonar. You just need to be careful not to create an infinite loop.

If it can generate notes, why not generate CC too... Here, I hooked Psychodrumma to Alchemy, let it play an algo-malady and fiddle remix pads. Final version will be coming sometime by the end of next week, probably. Via Bandcamp, for what you think it's worth.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEaZHkTyb7s

Still waiting for the final version.

Check out this thread. It should have all the links and info your looking for?
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 2&t=406497

MRT wrote:Check out this thread. It should have all the links and info your looking for?
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 2&t=406497
Thanks! :phones:

Sorry for the confusion, I thought editing the initial first-page post was sufficient. Hope you find the machine enjoyable.

I'm now experimenting with another idea...

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”