What plugin format are you using the most on your Mac?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

What instrument plugin format are you using the most on your Mac in what DAW?
And why do you think you have made that decision?

Regards, Morgan
I would like people to be back in their sins again, because this world has become perfectly evil!

I use AUs in Live, don't install VST as I prefer to keep things less cluttered. Its also easier to find the VSTs that are not available in AU by not doubling up. AU has a better way of file management that keeps plug ins sorted by developer making it really easy to find what I need without cluttering up screen. I also have the maybe misguided notion that as AU is apple's own format it will run better that Steinbergs VST.

Sabe as Cintronic.

I use both.
In Live I use vst always.
In Logic of course au's.

I use VSTi in Reaper 64 except for Absynth and Kontakt which are stabler as AUi for some reason.

I generally prefer VSTi as it provides MIDI out for plugs like Reaktor that can control other plugs via MIDI. So that's my default format.

AUs for Logic. I have Reaper, but find it very clunky in comparison to Logic, so I don't bother with VSTs.
“The American fascist would prefer not to use violence. His method is to poison the channels of public information.”
-Henry A. Wallace

My preference is vsti unless the dev only offers au. I have many plugins that generate midi output like Geist, Microtonic, Tonespace, Thesys, Kirnu, etc. and that functionality is not supported in au at this time. Secondly, I hate all my plugins sorted by manufacturer, I prefer to use my own folder setup which separates the plugins by function.

The AU spec does support MIDI out. The problem is hosts support.
http://lists.apple.com/archives/Coreaud ... 00053.html
https://developer.apple.com/library/mac ... rence.html

VE Pro hosts only AU on Mac, Cubase only VST or VST3. Except for when I want to interact with the GUI (eg., Reaktor, certain things) directly I'm hosting instruments in VE Pro. VE Pro provides an automation map for everything it hosts, all in one place and most of the time I write automation from that.

I use logic 9 Mac AU 32-bit on OSX Lion

i prefer AU since the people behind the Format are
the same people who make my Computer,The OS and the DAW
If your plugin is a Synth-edit/synth-maker creation, Say So.
If not Make a Mac version of your Plugins Please.

https://soundcloud.com/realmarco

...everyone is out to get me!!!!!!!

I use AU's in Live... mostly... and just cause

AU.
You are currently reading my signature.

Windmiller wrote:Hi,

What instrument plugin format are you using the most on your Mac in what DAW?
And why do you think you have made that decision?

Regards, Morgan
Why?

I use Reaper on OSX, and I use AU whenever possible.

Whenever possible means that I try to use the AU by default, don't ask me why. Using the "native" format on the intended platform just seems the way to go. Unfortunately, some plugins are "problematic" as AUs in Reaper, so I have to make exceptions every now and then.

The best example would be NI Kontakt, which only works with 2 Outputs as AUi. Then there are the Eventide plugins, which -according to Eventide- have several sets of internal output routings (mono, stereo, mono to stereo) and Reaper happens to pick one that only processes one channel. Have contacted Eventide about that, but they don't give a damn. "Works in Logic." Contacted Two Notes because their WoS cab sim did the same, and they fixed it immediately. Back in the days when I used IK Multimedia plugins, the AUs would crash randomly and have strange GUI glitches, like needing two clicks to react, or readout needles stopping to move. VSTs worked fine, so I used them instead.
I don't work here, I just feed the trolls.
My sales thread @ Market Place
My website with lots of free stuff:
Sampled drums and instruments | Clipping plugin | Shure SRH840 EQ correction presets | SFZ syntax mode for Coda2

I use multiple DAWs, but since Logic is one of them I don't really have a choice.

For audio editors in OSX, AU support seems to be better generally. VST version usually not installed whenever I can just to save couple mb of space with my tiny SSD. Also prefer saving aupreset over fop (loathe the everyone-has-a-preset-format mess, makes backup a headache)

Thank you all for the information, very interesting to know.

I'm interested in this because I'm a developer and this information helps me (and others) to see what formats are being used most, and what DAWs. I think this kind of information is interesting anyway, not just only because I'm a developer.

Regards, Morgan
I would like people to be back in their sins again, because this world has become perfectly evil!

Return to “Instruments”