Coming soon from Hollow Sun...

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm a bit late to the party here - had my head down in preset creation and also getting a manual done.

But I have made a compilation of some of the sounds Mr Dragon and I have already made ...

https://soundcloud.com/hollow-sun/sets/vks-70-1

The first track is my usual abstract, droney, 'soundscape' nonsense (I'll have someone talented to do a proper demo :) ) but it should give you a taste of some of the sounds and capabilities (*). I am fairly sure that you've not heard an MKS70 sound quite like this! :)

The other tracks are Mr Dragon's.

It's a great synth capable of thick basses, smooth pads, warm strings, SFX, great leadlines, lovely old synth brass and so on.

I plan to have it available on the 18th (Good Friday) for you to enjoy over the Éostre weekend.

As Mr Dragon has said, it will have an introductory price of £20 for a while and will likely rise to £30 at some point. The price of the Lorand 80s Suite is yet to be decided.

I hope you enjoy the 'taster'.

Stephen

(*) There is no distortion on the track - that's one of Mr Dragon's gnarly presets layered in there!
Last edited by hollowsun on Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

100% vKS70, BTW

Why do I find myself lusting after this, even though I have a real MKS-70 sitting right here next to me?
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

deastman wrote:Why do I find myself lusting after this, even though I have a real MKS-70 sitting right here next to me?
Well I'm actually planning to sell my MKS-70, so I'm happy to see Hollow Sun releasing this. Will be nice to have the sound without the hassle.

(I'm also comfortable selling my MKS-20, now owning vks20.)

deastman wrote:Why do I find myself lusting after this, even though I have a real MKS-70 sitting right here next to me?
With vKS70 you can have much greater polyphony, for example. Built-in effects, too. There are some things that vKS70 doesn't do, like you don't have control over hard sync (there's just one sampled sync waveform that has that kind of sync movement in it, one PWM waveform, and one ringmodded bellish waveform, they are the three "extras" you can mix in along with two DCOs and a sub-oscillator - well that's another thing the MKS-70 can't do, vKS has up to 4 oscs per voice!). Also we (I) didn't implement the Chase mode, various voice allocation modes (you have just the regular mono/legato, portamento and unison), aftertouch assignment to volume and cutoff, Envelope 2 modulation of DCO-2 volume level slider (not possible in Kontakt)...

But yeah, you can stack several of vKS70 patches and get a HUGE sound... Benefits here are obvious, there are some cons as always. Up to you to decide in the end. I have an actual MKS-70 right next to me, as well. :)

Actually, what I'd probably be tempted to do is layer vKS70 and real MKS-70 together!
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Not a bad line of thinking either!

Hi,

last week Steve asked me by PM if i would like to do some patches for vKS70 and tere seemed to be a little misunderstanding concerning my reply which is why he did not send a copy of the synth last week.
Anyway i got it now and while there is not much time left i'll do my best to submit some nice patches for this. :)

The current patches are included in the the files i got and there is indeed some nice stuff there from both Steve and Evil Dragon

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Curious why Chase mode is not implemented. Is there a technical obstacle that is insurmountable? Always liked that effect.

It's not insurmountable, however to compensate there's an arpeggiator inside, and perhaps you can also use a factory script called MIDI delay, that might give some similar and interesting effects. To have chasing between two DIFFERENT patches, one would need to load two instruments and write a multiscript that does that behaviour, which was not what I had in mind for this product.

Besides, checking against an actual MKS-70 I have over here, seems like chase play mode is also dependent on the amplifier envelope - it's not a pure MIDI delay, so writing a multiscript that works exactly like that isn't quite possible (since it cannot know anything about amplifier envelope in Kontakt's instruments).
Last edited by EvilDragon on Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wow... This looks rad. Count me in.
A heaping dose of outrageously goofy synth tracks, scores and chiptunes.

https://raddlandstudios.com
https://youtube.com/NorrinRadd22

Well, after a lot of typing today, the USER GUIDE is now done (pending proof reading). Those who may be interested can read it HERE

Should give you a taste of what's on offer.

And my thanks to Ingonator (and also Mr Dragon) for coming up with some belting presets/patches (it will be released with 70 patches and, all being well, more to come).

Stephen

hollowsun wrote:I plan to have it available on the 18th (Good Friday) for you to enjoy over the Éostre weekend.
So.....?

Should be today instead... Always some unforeseen circumstances pending release!

Available now

Sorry about the slight delay - matters domestic here at The Towers prevailed against me.

Not just that but making the product is often the easy part - it's all the peripheral stuff that can take the time .... webpages (especially as I am no whizz with HTML), graphics, audio demos, checking stuff and doing all that is something of an overhead but has to be done, obviously.

Still ... only a day late - pretty good for me! :)

And still in time for the Spring equinox! :)

Anyway, enjoy.

Stephen

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”