1GB 7.1 Reason Update & No Sounds?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Initially...I was really pleased to discover the large file size of Reason's 7.1 update,especially with it being free....but the update(aside from the free Rack Extension),is comprised of nothing more than bug fixes and functionality revisions.
That being said,what in this update,could possibly take up 1GB of space??
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
For Drakan:The Ancients Gates fans: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Em9XUSiE7f4

By the way....the free Rack Extension is just a modulation effect module,that is a separate download anyway.

Blame the NSA, and if you have a webcam, unplug it. :D

It is not a patch, but the whole program rewritten with a new SDK 2.0 for the Rack Extensions.
So you are downloading the entire Reason application regardless of what you may consider small changes...

Enjoy!
Pigments - Diva - Tal U-No-LX - Tal Sampler

^

I don't think reason ever does patch updates, it's always a full download

The OP seems to think it is....

Biscotto wrote:It is not a patch, but the whole program rewritten with a new SDK 2.0 for the Rack Extensions.
So you are downloading the entire Reason application regardless of what you may consider small changes...

Enjoy!
+1
They called it 'update' but it is actually a new install. These are the instructions to install (from their website of course):

Installing your Reason update

Important for Mac users! If you have personal files, e.g. ReFills, song files and patches in your Reason application folder, then you must move them to another location before you install the upgrade, or they will be lost.

1. Move your Reason Sound Banks out of the way.
Reason requires the Reason 7 Factory Sound Bank and the Orkester Sound Bank. These must be located in the Reason application folder. If you already have these installed, it’s easiest to move them to another folder before updating, and then move them back again afterwards.

2. Uninstall your previous Reason version.
Windows users: Use the "Uninstall" function in the Control Panel.
Mac users: Manually delete the Reason folder.

3. Install
Windows users: Extract all files from the downloaded zip archive. Then double click the "Install Reason.exe" installer.
Mac users: Open the disk image and drag the Reason folder to your Applications folder on your hard drive.

4. Put your Reason Sound Banks in place.
If you moved your sound banks in step 1, simply move them back into the Reason application folder again.
If you don’t have the sound banks on your computer you need to install them again – either copy them from your Reason 7 DVD or download the sound banks here.

Done!

Why is a Steinberg Maintenance Update on Windows only 160MB and on Mac almost 600MB?
We'll never know.

If the Reason 7.1 update is actually also a regular installer... then it makes sense.
So undless you're on DialUp, or on limited bandwidth/month... is it that big of a deal?
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Biscotto wrote:It is not a patch, but the whole program rewritten with a new SDK 2.0 for the Rack Extensions.

Enjoy!
Yes of course,why wouldn't I?Why would ANYONE decline from keeping their DAW up to date...especially when it's free?
Not at the moment...but eventually,the features in this update are going to be useful at some point and I never said nor implied,that the absence of sounds or modules would be a deal-breaker.
I simply am curious about the size of the file,because I've never come across anything like this before.
Just for shits & giggles,I once downloaded the Ignite DAW and the entire program,was less than a gigabyte.

I understand that Reason has become a very powerful and expansive DAW,but still.....to me,a 1GB file,seems enormous to me...for just bug fixes and skins for modules & such.

This is just a guess, but perhaps the large size is partly due to Reason's OSX application package containing both the 32 and 64-bit version.

Demo Song = 320MB + Documentation = 201MB Total = 521/522MB
That could be offered as an optional download but it's not.
Last edited by Biscotto on Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tronam wrote:This is just a guess, but perhaps the large size is partly due to Reason's OSX application package containing both the 32 and 64-bit version.
Correct, plus the compression used for DMG seems not to be as good as the one used for Windows installers, perhaps?

And another 244 for a RPCP file... No idea what it is. Never bothered to find out.
Now the total is 766!

So 32/64 is not the deal.

It seems ID8 represents about 330MB of the package. I agree that the demo songs could be an optional download, but it makes sense to always include the updated documentation with the installation. Even so, it's not as though these updates are released every week. A 1GB file per year shouldn't be too much to ask in 2014. It'd be glacial over dial-up though.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”