PRODUCTS
One Twin 3

Numanoid wrote:Demoing FF1

Positives:
Support for lots of formats, 32 bits, 64 bits, vst2, vst3, aax, pc, mac
100+ Patches
Very easy to get into and hands on.

Negatives:
The factory bank sounds come across rather dated (the orchestral patches are horrendous, Casio VL-1 like), just tweaking a bit can quickly make more interesting sounds
Too basic functions, a sub osc to be able to make bottom heavy basses and leads would be good

The plug would have got a lot more usable if it also could function as an audio processor, that would have been a big plus, but no FX plug is included unfortunately
They have Micro and Simplon for audio processor version. I really do think they should have left the price on One at $5 (as it once was during a sale a while back). Anyway, it's a nice little synth but as others have mentioned it's hard to justify buying when there's lots of great options for only a little more.

As for Twin 2...

Twin 2 is still one of my favorites, aliasing and all. I could always get fast results out of it since it's designed to be only as complex as you make it. On board fx limited to delay can actually be a nice limitation. For me, nobody does on-the-fly modulation as well as Fabfilter, but workflow is everything and I know not everyone will agree with that statement. Also, I love their GUI's, but some people still prefer analog inspired digital creations, complete with space limitations of a physical interface.

I sold my license to Twin 2, years ago and with this sale, it's about the price I'd like to pay for it so I'll probably be picking it up again.

Still, if you're looking at this sale, and you don't have effects... then that's where I'd start with the world of Fabfilter.

Twin2 no - walk on buy, but do demo it before trotting off.

Highly recommend Pro G, Pro C, Saturn and ProQ. Sold mine but got a feeling they maybe coming back...

Twin 2 is a fantastic synth. I would highly recommend picking it up.

Twin 2 can be an all around workhorse, light on CPU, lovely evolving textures. There are also some terrific and very useable of preset banks available for Twin 2.
Bitwig Certified Trainer

I think they were quite good when they came out, but they are getting rather dated now. Technology has improved quite a bit in the past few years and there are so many better VA synths these days. I wouldn't even bother with them.
"The Juno 60 was often incorrectly referred to as a synth. It is, in fact, a chorus unit with a synth attached." -PAK

I think that Twin is a cut above the run of the mill synths. The GUI could be sexier, but the sound engine is clean and powerful. Once you get used to the GUI, it is quite easy to get around on the synth and get the sounds that you are looking for and some that you were not looking for. I always thought that Fabfilter quality was good.

Fabfilter twin could do with a update, but for what it is i think it's a decent tool. If you buy Twin you don't really need to buy One since you can easily emulate One with Twin.

The GUI is a pleasure to work with, and the stock library is full of many decent sounds that work well in a mix together. The real fun is making your own patches because Twin is essentially modular and capable of some pretty interesting sounds. I think it is a great synthesizer to learn subtractive synthesis with and is very easy to use once you learn your way around it.

How does it sound? I think in some ways it can sound very clavia nord lead like and some of the bass sounds can be great for acid and goa trance styles. The various filters can be driven to self-oscillation and they really shriek which is fun if you enjoy that sort of thing. Also you can create some really awesome drone style sounds using the filters and built-in delays which is basically like a cut-down timeless2 inside twin.

The CPU usage on it is incredibly low and you can easily have many many instances of it in a session on a modern Intel i7 system without any problems.

As far as the programming goes, Twin is rock solid like all Fabfilter plugins and when i owned it i never had one crash with it ever, so it is very reliable.

You really have to like it for what it is and see if it fits your workflow. Personally i kind of miss working with it as i always enjoyed the speedy workflow for sound design stuff. Maybe one day when i get money I'll buy the Fabfilter creative bundle again.

My final opinion in this day and age, is that Fabfilter have designed a great product that was awesome when it came out. However now in this day and age with much more powerful options Twin2 could really really use a update. This does not mean it is not useable, i just think as far as value for money you can do a lot better.

I am not sure if they will update it or not.. but when they do I will probably be even more interested to try it again.
:borg:

I think it's really good. Clean warm tone. GUI would probably take some getting used to for me.

Value is relative right? It's about taste and what you want to make with it.
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

I don't know why, but somehow I prefer the feel of One to Twin. I'm not sure if it's something in the sound, or just because One has a blue GUI.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

billcarroll wrote:Twin 2 is a fantastic synth. I would highly recommend picking it up.

Twin 2 can be an all around workhorse, light on CPU, lovely evolving textures. There are also some terrific and very useable of preset banks available for Twin 2.
+1

Sendy wrote:I don't know why, but somehow I prefer the feel of One to Twin. I'm not sure if it's something in the sound, or just because One has a blue GUI.
You're not alone, I found myself using One a lot more than Twin 2. Ended up selling T2.

If someone's interested, here's some audio demos. I really like FF Synths. Especially FF One because it's so simple and good for basic things, easy and fast to program.

Preview of my FF One bank:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5eILL_lc30

Song with only FF one:
https://soundcloud.com/mulperi/mulperi-the-one

Song using only FF Twin2 (and Orc hit sample):
https://soundcloud.com/mulperi/extraordinary

I couldn't work with Twin, until I stumbled across Twin tutorial on Fabfilter Youtube channel. In fact it's so easy to use. I'm certainly buying it, as I can get almost any sound from it. With its modulation capabilities you can make a lot of sounds from it.
Actually I never seen a synth that could be as easy and fun to program with such diverse output as Twin. Twin doesn't even try to be VA (so don't consider it as a replacement for DIVA, Sylenth1, Retrologue or whatever else), its main benefits are unlimited modulation possibilities.
Oh and regarding being dated, Twin as dated as any other quality synth could be.

PS: Fabfilter One? Good, but nothing special.
Wonder whether my advice worth a penny? Check my music at Soundcloud and decide for yourself.
re:vibe and Loki Fuego @ Soundcloud

^ Dan makes everything seem easy.
He needs to do a "find MH370" series.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Twin is my go to synth if I want to create my own patch quick. In fact its the only synth I have that I just load it up and create a patch from scratch. For all my other synths I just tweak presets.
Love the sound of twin too as it can do "in ya face" sounds as well as more subtle sounds without sounding too wishy-washy. The OSCs are very solid and silky sounding making it easy to fit in a mix. With the low CPU hit its great for layering with more complex synths. I hardly ever use synth built in FX so I don't wish twin has more unlike some people.

FF One gets in most of my songs too for at least 1 part. Sometimes just for FX/ filler parts or occasionally leads or as a sub layer on a bass part. Its simplicity has enabled me to learn how synths work which I value a lot for its design. Does seem overpriced though for what it is, is there still a CM version with mag?

Return to “Instruments”