Reason 13 Announced- Sequencer updated!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

New look- upgraded (full screen) sequencer, a brand new browser and five new devices.

https://www.reasonstudios.com/new-in-13

https://www.reasonstudios.com/news/post ... ct-manager (quite amusing)

Reason 13, available on June 18, 2024
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

I would have been happy if they somehow married the Chord Sequencer and the main Sequencer together: scale and chord hightighting etc.
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

No MPE is a crime with these instruments we have in Reason...

Not even poly aftertouch

SLiC wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 10:10 am upgraded (full screen) sequencer
Well, so much for the discussion about their preference of working on and selling the rack side of Reason. ;)

chk071 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 11:50 am
Well, so much for the discussion about their preference of working on and selling the rack side of Reason. ;)
Glad to be wrong, but still not sure it will be enough to attract/switch new users to Reason as a DAW (but it's a start). Th problem is rather like the HiDPi update, they are playing catch up to make Reason have the same look/feel as other DAWS, but other DAWS are also moving on with MPE editing etc., Reason runs the risk of always being one step behind.

There are also 5 new devices including a new synth for RRP Only Fans :wink:
Last edited by SLiC on Thu May 02, 2024 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

chk071 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 11:50 am
In my view and of course, this is only my impression - the DAW (or the sequencer itself) upgrade is below mediocre. They split the sequencer in half. "Tool" window is now gone, it is added to the editor on the left side. They say "Together with several new workflow improvements, improved zooming" so it is unclear, maybe there is more to it. I applied for the beta and it's too early to say. From looking at the screenshot I don't see new workflow tools at all. There is no even "Highlight" scale in the piano roll. But maybe there is more to it. So far I expected more, but my expectations were never met anyway.

I couldn't care less about new devices though I expected better EQ and better metering. A new gain tool perhaps when the rack is closed will give us more info on the signal.

Regards

Polytone Dual-Layer Synthesizer. As the name suggests, it’s a polyphonic analogue-style synth with two layers, allowing you to quickly create thick warm sounds. The 2-oscillator architecture is simple, but it offers features like oscillator cross modulation, a multimode filter, as well as built-in chorus and reverb effects. Overall, it looks like a fun addition to the Reason arsenal.

Ripley Space Delay. The Ripley is a combination of digital reverb and delay with great options for creating rhythmic stereo effects.

I am not sure of the price of the upgrade but as an RRP user, I am not sure I can convince myself of paying more than 2 digits for an instrument and one effect in particular as they like very redundant with exisiting ones.

I am not saying that as a critic. Some people may be super happy with this. I am just not the target.

have they announced the upgrade fee from 12? I didn't see it.

JamminFool wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 12:51 pm have they announced the upgrade fee from 12? I didn't see it.
No, but they have said you get 13 free if you buy 12 now. I still cant see many people rushing to spend almost $500 for what seems to be largely a facelift on the sequencer (don't get me wrong, it needed it!)...more info needed

ok, thanks for that information. i will stay tuned.

This is exactly the update I was hoping for. Attention to Reason as a DAW with special attention paid to the sequencer, browser, and midi editor. Like all the other DAW announcements in the last few years, it'll be met with every complaint about some feature someone didn't get, but this is exactly what I was hoping for as a long time Reason user. Making the sequencer faster and easier to work with as a DAW is huge for a lot of us.
Windows 10 PC. Reason. Cubase. Waveform. Reaper. Studio One Pro. Epiphone Les Paul Pro II. Nektar Panorama t4. Yamaha RBX Bass. Faderport 2. Eris E5 Monitors. SSL2 Interface. Audient Evo 4. AKG C214. Aston Origin. MXL 990.

Those sound demos of the new Polytone synth sound like... a Reason synth. ;) Frankly, don't hear that much of a difference to Subtractor or Thor.

Sequencer and browser update :party:
I've always hated how the current zooming works. It's almost unusable. So this speaks to me!

Zero interest in new synths & sounds. I'm drowning in what I've got already.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”