The Legend HZ by Synapse Audio now available!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
The Legend The Legend HZ

seafire wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 9:55 am They are if you don't use the additional parts
Or you could just use the original versions. Although you can no longer buy the original Legend.
<list your stupid gear here>

This thing still doesn't sound like my re-issue Minimoog or any I've owned past (Monark is much closer!), but all the extra features put it in a different category for me. Pretty great synth.

egbert101 wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 9:25 am
kraster wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 9:23 am The hyperbole about what are essentially miniscule differences is ridiculous.
Adding four MSEG's a mod matrix three additional oscillators, or adding modern wavetables, is not miniscule differences.
You know you don't have to use any of those things.

You can use it almost identically to a minimoog.

I'm talking about the basic sound of the oscillators and filters. Sounds very moogy to me.

kraster wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 11:31 am You know you don't have to use any of those things.

You can use it almost identically to a minimoog.

I'm talking about the basic sound of the oscillators and filters. Sounds very moogy to me.
But The Legend was already basically a Minimoog (it had additional features too like polyphony, unison and effects). Why would you now spend $179 rather than $99? Because that's what people now have to pay if they only want the Minimoog features.
<list your stupid gear here>

I was excited for this one but finding it quite underwhelming. The modulation system isn’t fast enough, the MSEG’s aren’t tactile like Pigments. There are 6 Oscillators which take up lots of space and won’t get used and no way to pan them. It does sounds good but isn’t a joy to use and it needs more filter options. All imho.

kraster wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 9:14 am
vitocorleone123 wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 6:25 pm I tried the demo and deleted it later the same day. The Legend still doesn't sound the best without effects. Synapse Audio is just behind the curve for analog emulations now in terms of sound quality. If you add a bunch of effects LHZ sounds better, but you can do that with lots of synths. If you want an analog-style synth with lots of modulation, this is a great solution for that, certainly.

It was also easy to compare LHZ in mono mode vs Model 72, and 72 still mops the floor with LHZ when it comes to the raw sound to me. LHZ lacks the "punch" of Model 72, though LHZ is clearly better at pads :-)

I'm enjoying the new impOSCar3, for example, more than LHZ. And it also sounds better to me, overall, and at least as "analog" as LHZ if you dial up the Volume (soft sat) and Drive (hard sat).

LHZ is definitely a quality analog-style emulation for sound designers. People not fitting that, like myself, may want to look elsewhere.
I still don't understand why the comparison between ImpOscar and LHZ outside of them being both loosely based on analogue tech.

Even at that we're talking to different eras of analogue. Fundamentally ImpOscar sounds like an 80s synth and LHZ sounds like a 70s synth.

If I want thick soupy analogue pads or bone shattering bass it's going to be LHZ all the way.

If I want aggressive cutting leads or bright airy pads it's ImpOscar.
100%. impOSCar 3 [edit]will be awesome when they fix the weird low pass blanket issue, but it seems to have more in common with Icarus 3 than The Legend HZ. I also keep hearing people calling impOSCar “more analog” sounding, which is pretty ridiculous, considering how lo-fi digital the 8 bit oscillators sound. Not sure if the new wavetables are higher resolution… I’ve been too swamped with a milestone delivery to dig into it.

I personally feel it’s awesome. When I want a simple Moog bass, I’m going to my ATC-X anyway, which has Moog cloned oscillators and filter (alone with 303, SEM and ARP clones) and sounds fantastic. The Legend can sound very similar, sometimes identical, but the beauty of it IMO is using it as the Moog poly that never happened, and the HZ version just adds that much more awesome power to the mix. Notice that Zimmer didn’t ask GForce for a bespoke version of impOSCar, though if he did, it would probably look like impOSCar 3.

Anyway, two different synths with different feature lists and very different characters. I’ve got no problem with someone preferring one over the other, but I personally think it’s awesome to have both of them. I find it boring to work with the same sorts of tools over and over.
Last edited by zerocrossing on Fri May 17, 2024 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

jobinho wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 1:34 pm I was excited for this one but finding it quite underwhelming. The modulation system isn’t fast enough, the MSEG’s aren’t tactile like Pigments. There are 6 Oscillators which take up lots of space and won’t get used and no way to pan them. It does sounds good but isn’t a joy to use and it needs more filter options. All imho.
Put me down as one of the people who hopes they add a High Quality modulation option in Legend HZ, similar to how they do Diva. I wouldn’t complain about higher resolution filter options from Dune 3 and Obsession either, but then you’re starting to make Legend a very different beastie.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

JamminFool wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 9:29 am
kraster wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 9:25 am
JamminFool wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 9:17 am
I still don't understand why the comparison between ImpOscar and LHZ outside of them being both loosely based on analogue tech.
it seems to me that it is only due to their being released at nearly the same time and thus are competing for the same limited purchasing power.

:shrug:
That's true but in terms of their sound/purpose it's a weird comparison.
i totally agree.
They're both new and I had them both installed. I kept impOSCar3 and deleted LHZ. It's not weird at all.

Price isn't a factor in the decision.

At any rate, since I'm not moving forward with LHZ I'll drop out of the thread unless there's a quote. It's not my intent to rally against it or anything. It was just disappointing to me and not to my taste.

Why? I like impOSCar well enough but I don't see anything in the v3 upgrade that I think is worth paying for. I can't even be arsed to download the demo to try it for myself. It's not like I am hurting for wavetable synths so what makes it worth having?
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

zerocrossing wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 2:10 pm
vitocorleone123 wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 6:25 pm I tried the demo and deleted it later the same day. The Legend still doesn't sound the best without effects. Synapse Audio is just behind the curve for analog emulations now in terms of sound quality. If you add a bunch of effects LHZ sounds better, but you can do that with lots of synths. If you want an analog-style synth with lots of modulation, this is a great solution for that, certainly.

It was also easy to compare LHZ in mono mode vs Model 72, and 72 still mops the floor with LHZ when it comes to the raw sound to me. LHZ lacks the "punch" of Model 72, though LHZ is clearly better at pads :-)

I'm enjoying the new impOSCar3, for example, more than LHZ. And it also sounds better to me, overall, and at least as "analog" as LHZ if you dial up the Volume (soft sat) and Drive (hard sat).

LHZ is definitely a quality analog-style emulation for sound designers. People not fitting that, like myself, may want to look elsewhere.

Even at that we're talking to different eras of analogue. Fundamentally ImpOscar sounds like an 80s synth and LHZ sounds like a 70s synth.

If I want thick soupy analogue pads or bone shattering bass it's going to be LHZ all the way.

100%. impOSCar 3 is awesome, but it seems to have more in common with Icarus 3 than The Legend HZ. I also keep hearing people calling impOSCar “more analog” sounding, which is pretty ridiculous, considering how lo-fi digital the 8 bit oscillators sound. Not sure if the new wavetables are higher resolution… I’ve been too swamped with a milestone delivery to dig into it.

I personally feel it’s awesome. When I want a simple Moog bass, I’m going to my ATC-X anyway, which has Moog cloned oscillators and filter (alone with 303, SEM and ARP clones) and sounds fantastic. The Legend can sound very similar, sometimes identical, but the beauty of it IMO is using it as the Moog poly that never happened, and the HZ version just adds that much more awesome power to the mix. Notice that Zimmer didn’t ask GForce for a bespoke version of impOSCar, though if he did, it would probably look like impOSCar 3.

Anyway, two different synths with different feature lists and very different characters. I’ve got no problem with someone preferring one over the other, but I personally think it’s awesome to have both of them. I find it boring to work with the same sorts of tools over and over.
2 out if 5 stars is awesome? ;)

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 12:11 am
zerocrossing wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 2:10 pm

100%. impOSCar 3 is awesome, but it seems to have more in common with Icarus 3 than The Legend HZ. I also keep hearing people calling impOSCar “more analog” sounding, which is pretty ridiculous, considering how lo-fi digital the 8 bit oscillators sound. Not sure if the new wavetables are higher resolution… I’ve been too swamped with a milestone delivery to dig into it.

2 out if 5 stars is awesome? ;)
It will be awesome when they fix the low pass issue. My bad for not giving it a proper run though and believing people here who don’t know what they’re taking about.
Zerocrossing Media

What is this low pass issue? Which synth?

Uncle E wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 5:40 am What is this low pass issue? Which synth?
viewtopic.php?p=8905464#p8905464

Thanks. I’ll have to give it another shot then. Smoother is better in my book.

jobinho wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 1:34 pm I was excited for this one but finding it quite underwhelming. The modulation system isn’t fast enough, the MSEG’s aren’t tactile like Pigments. There are 6 Oscillators which take up lots of space and won’t get used and no way to pan them. It does sounds good but isn’t a joy to use and it needs more filter options. All imho.
I gave the demo a quick try yesterday. I may have missed a bunch, but I have the same impression. I'd want the LFOs and MSEGs from Dune, rather than the clunky system here. I'm a big fan of The Legend, and will keep using the original. I'll update if I feel rich one day. Also, the original GUI is easier on the eyes, with less stuff to demand attention.
Every day takes figuring out all over again how to f#ckin’ live.

Return to “Instruments”