Bitwig 5.2 BETA available

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Although nothing is as simple as a single great sounding device with a good UI/GUI!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

nevermind... there will be never a change anyway... 8)

Trancit wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 8:31 am What works for the unnecessarily steady oversampled Polymer??
FM-4 is a solid little synth that uses very little CPU.
Same with Polysynth.

I would be pleased if there was an option to turn off oversampling in the Grid cause it is not needed in all cases (simple Note Grids)... but you make it sound like some horrible offense. There are always limitations to work around.

pdxindy wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 5:19 pm
Trancit wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 8:31 am What works for the unnecessarily steady oversampled Polymer??
FM-4 is a solid little synth that uses very little CPU.
Same with Polysynth.

I would be pleased if there was an option to turn off oversampling in the Grid cause it is not needed in all cases (simple Note Grids)... but you make it sound like some horrible offense. There are always limitations to work around.
Sorry... I just don´t want any x synth...
That would be the same like "Oh, just take Synth1 instead of VPS Avenger... that´s a good alternative for less CPU..."

There is simply no excuse for getting just CPU hog stuff in Bitwig...
I just did some tests with the new "Over"... and it seems it´s really over for me now...
A silly little clipper which uses by default (not changeable) 30! times the CPU of SIR Standard Clip non oversampled (which is fine most of the time when I am just cutting off some drum transients)...

30 times as much CPU for a f*cking little clipper and 3 times as much CPU as Standard Clip when being 4 times oversampled...
This is ridiculous for a stock device... this is actually much more than ridiculous... I just don´t know any stronger english word for it...

And I bet all the other later devices especially the "+" are no exception when you compare their CPU load...

The new advertising slogan:

Bitwig Studio... use our devices and waste 2-3 times the CPU amount you would actually need in any other DAW...
We make your CPU really sweat for nothing... because it´s fun!

Trancit wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 5:36 pm Bitwig Studio... use our devices and waste 2-3 times the CPU amount you would actually need in any other DAW...
We make your CPU really sweat for nothing... because it´s fun!
Understand your pain. Most of users fed up with very questionable development pass of the platform.
Personally I stopped using bitwig own fx. Because they are resource hungry. Because containers rather rigid. And automation powerful but tedious to use. I much prefer Kilohearts ecosystem. It’s easy to use. Can see all plugins in one place, all automation is available instantly and they had MSEG in 2018. The only stuff I use in bitwig is polygrid. Only because in grid I can make simple patch which will have rich sound.
So personally for me all those constant plugins they make like there is no tomorrow are worthless. I hope for midi, actual mixer, plugin manager etc. Professional stuff per se.

Yeah... My music is shit because of Bitwig...

Trancit wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 5:36 pm
And I bet all the other later devices especially the "+" are no exception when you compare their CPU load...
Delay+ is fairly light on CPU compared to my delay plugins.

The new Over is for sure using lots of CPU... but then again it is just Beta 1. It may be unoptimized at this point as Bitwig gets feedback from users. For sure it sounds good, but if cpu use doesn't improve, I will use it sparingly.

And of course the reason DAW's support plugins is so that users can pick the tools they want to use. No DAW can satisfy all users with the own devices.

Oh ye of little faith. Eventually they'll run out of devices to refresh and they'll have no choice but to spend more time updating the core functionality. Maybe.
Softsynth addict and electronic music enthusiast.
"Destruction is the work of an afternoon. Creation is the work of a lifetime."

pdxindy wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 7:31 pm Delay+ is fairly light on CPU compared to my delay plugins.
Yes, Delay+ is an enjoyable exception ...
And of course the reason DAW's support plugins is so that users can pick the tools they want to use. No DAW can satisfy all users with the own devices.
The problem is just that the main part of every update are these devices... DAW features come always second... there the option you could use just 3rd party stuff instead is no great consolation... at the very end I pay for this quite a bit of money...
And if I setup my business scheme like this, I better fulfill my part and deliver something competitive both in quality (what it is) and efficency ...at least the same what others provide ...
I cannot tell many times I would agree that both requirements are met...

Perhaps I am too nitpicky but again for stock devices I expect functional plugins which offer a certain up to good quality but are more efficient (least equally) than 3rd party as they are supported natively ...at the least when I charge a not inconsiderable portion of the update fee for them.

Try adding more than 1 lfo to Ableton and get back to me about CPU use

A "Beta1" triggered this?.. ohh well, back to Fast Tracker II.. 8)
Last edited by SmajjL on Sat May 04, 2024 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Trancit wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 10:12 pm
The problem is just that the main part of every update are these devices... DAW features come always second... there the option you could use just 3rd party stuff instead is no great consolation... at the very end I pay for this quite a bit of money...
And if I setup my business scheme like this, I better fulfill my part and deliver something competitive both in quality (what it is) and efficency ...at least the same what others provide ...
I cannot tell many times I would agree that both requirements are met...
You can measure the aliasing that Over produces. In my tests it was less than Kclip with 32x oversampling at about half the CPU use (single-band, hardclip, 48khz SR). So, depends on the viewpoint. If you think clipping loads of channels, generating aliasing on top of aliasing, but in a cpu-friendly manner is the usual use-case for mixing, you can drop bitwig a friendly email and ask if it is possible to implement that.

Trancit wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 10:12 pm
pdxindy wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 7:31 pm Delay+ is fairly light on CPU compared to my delay plugins.
Yes, Delay+ is an enjoyable exception ...
Phaser+, Chorus+ and Flanger+ all have a good sound quality to cpu ratio.

The only + device which stands out to me as being particularly high on the CPU is the new Compressor+ and it is only on Beta 1. I haven't tested it enough to have a clear sense of what I am getting for that CPU use.

The compressor and the newer distortions (or distortion/filter combos) are what get you. Fortunately there's always the old compressor and dynamics devices and the distortion and saturator devices should you need CPU friendly versions of those effects.
Softsynth addict and electronic music enthusiast.
"Destruction is the work of an afternoon. Creation is the work of a lifetime."

stamp wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 6:44 pm Yeah... My music is shit because of Bitwig...
Probably. But not because of bitwig 😂

I’m talking about efficiency and workflow not what you can or can’t do with program. You well can make Grammy winning track in audacity. But how much practical and efficient it will be? 🤷

Return to “Bitwig”